Er, new Landie.....er,

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mongoose, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doesn't look very safe o_O

New patrol vehicles will give troops enhanced capability
    25 Jun 07
    [​IMG]
    The MOD will buy new weapons-mounted patrol vehicles under an Urgent Operational Requirement for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan it was announced today, Monday 25 June 2007.
    "Like a Land Rover on steroids." The new MWMIK will provide an enhanced capability for British troops on operations [Picture: MOD]. Opens in a new window.

"Like a Land Rover on steroids." The new MWMIK will provide an enhanced capability for British troops on operations
    [Picture: MOD]

The new MWMIK 4x4 vehicles, described by one serving officer as 'like a Land Rover on steroids', will deliver a new level of power to the WMIK (Weapons Mounted Installation Kit) fleet, with more firepower and a better range and mobility. It will be fast for a four tonne vehicle, with a potential top speed of 80mph (130km/h).

The vehicle can be fitted with a range of firepower including a .50 calibre machine gun or an automatic grenade launcher and a general purpose machine gun, as well as carrying up to four troops with their own individual weapons.

Welcoming the decision to purchase MWMIK, Lord Drayson, Minister of State for Defence Equipment and Support, said:

"These vehicles are well armed, swift, and agile and will boost our capability with some serious firepower. MOD and the Treasury have worked hard to get these powerful vehicles to our troops in quick time, and they will start going out to theatre early next year."

The vehicle can operate across a whole range of terrain, something which will be particularly useful in the desert, especially in Afghanistan where much of the terrain does not have roads.

It is expected that the new vehicles, 130 in total, will begin deploying out to operational theatres early in 2008. The new MWMIK vehicle will include the following features:

o Longer range
    o Greater payload
    o Greater mobility
    o A top speed of up to 80mph (130km/h)

[​IMG]

2. nice air conditioning system

3. :omg: Has Dick Strawbridge been on Scrapheap Challenge again?

Then again flashback mode

4. Yea but what's its Euro NCAP safety rating? :hump:

5. I assume this is for chasing taliban across the plains of Helmand, and not patrolling in Basrah?

Saying that, the bottom pic looks proper warry!

6. I would hope so.. well, so we can afford a bunch of new landies, how about some armour for the normal ones? :<

7. Given that it's unarmoured, that's some fricken weight...

Immediate thoughts:

a) Do I want 80 mph for one of these, as opposed to, say, higher ground clearance? (check out the sump guard at the front - looks to be about 6 inches off the floor)

b) More firepower: errr - the WMIKS already have a .50 cal... Unless it's something to do with a heavier platform for accuracy, this 'advantage' has me confused.

c) Smoke dischargers. Dunno. Would welcome opinions on this, but we haven't asked for them on any soft skinned vehicles for the past 50 years, so why now?

d) 'Quick Time' = 'early next year' :roll: If I could have some more (cheaper, lighter) WMIKS within a few weeks, I know where I'd go.

e) Check out those '4 tonner' tyres - imagine a quick attempt to change a flatty when you don't want to hang around.

So, all in all, looks like a blinder. Anyone able to comment on the rationale?

(Edit - I know Dick S - I reckon he'd have done something better - and it would have been eco-friendly...)

8. still, how ally is it in that bottom pic. i don't think even the yaks have got a small platform that can compare to that. and i know 4tn isn't too small, but you know what i mean.

9. RAF regiment must be creaming themselves at the thought of posing around in these

10. ...you know it's bad when they arrive that colour!

11. belt fed?

Would provide all round cover at all times.

12. Too true old boy, too true.

What colour paint dya reckon NATO has more of? Green or Desert?

13. IMO it looks like a stripped down Pig....Please excuse the silly questions but what happens if:-

1. A rpg is fired at this?

2. It gets rolled and as god made little green apples it will happen... - yes I know there are roll bars on it but please!!!!

Fair comment by botfeckid about the tyres - are they runflats? I guess not...

14. Eh? I'm referring to the AFV dischargers at all 4 corners. The wretched things are temperamental, spew burning phos over your mates in the WMIK/MWMIK parked next to you when you hastily trigger them (not a prob in proper armour, which is where they belong) , are discharged accidentally in harbours, nicely burning all your kit and giving your LUP away to everyone within 100 miles, and encourage you to believe that you're in some sort of AFV - until the first 5.56 round whistles past you/into you.

15. A bit of gimmick me thinks.

I thought all that was being asked for was more of the same. Doesn't the existing kit do all of this already?