• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Equipment for starting sandhurst

We were asked to buy a head torch and just wondered which ones are up to much. Someone recommended the Petzl ones with a red filter and also a couple of smaller canoe bags. A medium and the small ones but what size constitutes a medium and small (Litre)?

Also can anyone recommend a decent watch which will fulfill all my needs?

Buy Ortliebs for your bergen: 110L for the main compartment, 59L (I think, around that) for daysack and two 19L for the side-pouches/general waterproofing.

A load of A4-sized resealable plastic bags will come in very handy for quickly waterproofing anything from paper to the spare socks in your webbing, keeping brew kit in, etc.

Petzl E-lite's a decent head-torch too, clips to your helmet elastics. Stock up on batteries though as it takes those coin-shaped ones which can be hard to find.

I agree with Bravo_Zulu but I'd say the 110 is FAR too big. You don't need to / wont have the time to stuff your bivvy bag in there so i would go for a much smaller one, i.e. 50odd liter for your bergan since the actual amount of stuff you carry in the main pouch is minimal.

110l does me nicely; can't get the bouncing bomb into anything much smaller, and it's much harder-wearing than the bivvy bag as a bergen liner. You can always squash the air out of it if you're putting your daysack into your bergen as well.

What Bravo_Zulu said for Ortlieb bags.

Regarding headtorch though I'd go Petzl Tikka so you don't have to worry about non-standard batteries.

For a rugged watch I'd reccomend an H3 (used to be called Traser). I know many people don't like them but mine has lasted 9 years and several op tours, with one battery change and the hands still glow pretty brightly.

spaz said:
This is the torch you want, don't get a DPM one unless you want to look like a merkin.

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Petzl_TacTikka_Plus_Headtorch__31_24.html

One canoe bag bergan sized, one daysack sized and a couple for your side pouches.

Any subdued watch that shows the time accurately doesn't light up like a beacon and you can synchronise easily. Oh and waterproof.
To echo spaz, DPM works very well when you drop it as well i.e. gone. Same applies for pens.

G

Green_Garfield

Did you guys know the thick black bergan liners are avaliable though the system?

NSN=8465-99-8695048.

Its not the green thin draw string one if anyone is thinking that.

Thanks for the responses, does anyone know for deffinate the size in litres of the bergen side pouches?

also what am I looking for in a watch? What do i need it to do?

Green_Garfield said:
Did you guys know the thick black bergan liners are avaliable though the system?

NSN=8465-99-8695048.

A mate of mine demanded loads for herrick 8 and sinc then the supply response has been 'SF only'. 8O

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ortlieb bags in the side pouches are personal choice thing. I think they're about 12L each, but I rate the exped ones more - thinner and so take up less space, just as waterproof really.

G

Green_Garfield

Dodgy-Engr said:
Green_Garfield said:

NSN=8465-99-8695048.

A mate of mine demanded loads for herrick 8 and sinc then the supply response has been 'SF only'. 8O
I really don't get that. I mean I understand SF need good kit but do the civvys that buy this stuff really think only SF kit gets wet?

If an item is in the system and you need it for your role you should be issued with it.

Green_Garfield said:
Dodgy-Engr said:
Green_Garfield said:

NSN=8465-99-8695048.

I really don't get that. I mean I understand SF need good kit but do the civvys that buy this stuff really think only SF kit gets wet?

If an item is in the system and you need it for your role you should be issued with it.
Depends if there is money in the system for it and as often as not there isn't (although things have got a lot better over the last few years for UOR's etc) SF have their own budget so generally get what they think is best - i'm not saying you shouldn't get it just saying how it is thats all, I would happily see the boys equipped with all the best available kit going

G

Green_Garfield

KingOfKings said:
Green_Garfield said:
Dodgy-Engr said:
Green_Garfield said:

NSN=8465-99-8695048.

Depends if there is money in the system for it and as often as not there isn't (although things have got a lot better over the last few years for UOR's etc) SF have their own budget so generally get what they think is best - i'm not saying you shouldn't get it just saying how it is thats all, I would happily see the boys equipped with all the best available kit going
Agreed. I do fuly understand why guys don't get what they require. its just a sorry state of affiars.

whodat said:
Thanks for the responses, does anyone know for deffinate the size in litres of the bergen side pouches?

also what am I looking for in a watch? What do i need it to do?
Helps if the watch face hinges off to reveal a small compass. A PRR concealed within the strap will also come in very useful, although most manufacturers you will have to ask for this as an additional extra... Incidentally make sure they give you the military spec model with the compass gradiated in mils not degrees, common mistake made...

Latest Threads