Equestrian regiments

Discussion in 'RAC' started by rjh15, Jan 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok,
    So from the responses to my previous post I cannot afford the HCav so my thoughts turn to another FR regiment.
    My main sports are hunting and polo and I live in Somerset. I have no family ties to the military and thus no allegiance to any regiment.

What are the characteristics/stereotypes of the other FR regiments (QDG, LD, 9/12th I believe)

Many thanks

2. Had an old troop leader some years ago (QDG) whose mess drinks bill every month came to more than what the army paid him..........mummy, daddy, can I have a top up please ? There endeth the lesson.

3. I thought the RHA were the best horsemen, and indeed women, in the Army? :twisted:

I'm sure one of the commentary team mention this during Trooping the Colour on the Beeb last year. But he might have been ex-RHA.

4. The most successful UK Military Rider is at the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment.......
    The King's Troop manage to fukc up their rank-past HM every time they do it...........
    The finals of this year's Military Show Jumping competition were unique as the King's Troop did not manage to qualify.....
    As usual, the BBC is talking balls.
    Rant over.

5. Funny that you want to join just because you ride horses, shouldnt you be more interested in what your going to be doing, rather than joining for fun.

6. If you can afford to play polo I would have thought you could afford the mess bills. Perhaps I'm out of touch.

7. Either learn to read...........the RAC forum is full of these questions(complete with answers) or join these as you are less likely to get anybody killed or get a good kicking from a pissed-off troop corporal who´s sick of listening to a whingeing `impoverished ossifer`! :evil:

Attached Files:

8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

This is the 21 Century you tttttttttwwwwwwwwaaaattttttttt - RTR speak for knob, cnut and useless individual - not even the cav would want someone with what seems a poor understanding of the RAC. I suppose you need a batman as well.

9. I understand that it is the 21st Century. I have decided to join a FR regiment and to the best of my knowledge they all perform largely similar roles, if I am wrong in this please correct me rather than abuse me for trying to find out as much as I can before making a rather important reason.

I would have thought that the sport and character of each regiment was a rather large part of regimental life, obviously correct me if I am wrong.

10. You're totally right and provided you were a good officer you would also be a very welcome addition to any regiment's sporting agenda. I really think you need to contact the Home Headquarters of the FR recce regiments and get a chat with someone, possibly arrange a visit to the mess before deciding where to apply. You'll find that they'll all have livery for your own ponies and they will all have polo teams who play very competitively.

You need to be aware that junior ranks dominate these forums, hence the abuse you've been taking. You'll also find those very uncouth RTR chaps in here. Take no notice of them.

Mind you, if you really want to play with the best, join the QRH and forget this FR nonsense. 8) :p

11. Oh yes Polo and point to point is such a part of regimental life, along with pig sticking and beating your servants.

12. I was sure pig sticking had been banned?

13. ODWSO. the_Butler will help if you 'No Habla'

Much more to the point, you are well out of date. I have it on very good authority that many of the chaps are now house trained, some even able to walk on their hind legs.

So, take your scurrilious innuendo away with you.

Pah, bloody equine types!

14. They may be able to walk upright but the inevitable scuffing of the knuckles slows the loaders down and scares the horses.

15. Good point, well made. Why not use a machine gun like we do? I mean the horses will get use to it, and if not there's always the 'Knackwurst and a beer' route.