Equality for Royal Heirs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by flyinghussar, Apr 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 1701 Act stipulating the the Daughter of a Monarch must stand aside in favour of her Brother is about to be abolished. as is the bar on having a Catholic Monarch. This is reported in todays press. If this comes to pass, and something happened to Prince Charles would this put HRH Princess Anne in line for the Throne? This report is in The East Anglian Daily Times. this morning. What would the new line of accession look like? Could this actually happen by an act of Parliament? Before any of you stat shouting "Republican" I didnt write the item in the paper I am only asking for comments.

2. I do recall that there is an argument that the bar to Catholic succession in the Act of Settlement is a counter to the Catholic insistence that Catholic parents must enforce their religion on their children, even when marrying a non-Catholic. Under this regime, as soon as a Catholic was allowed to marry the monarch, we would be stuck with a Catholic monarchy in perpetuity. Which would be a bit hard for the Head of the Church of England.

Plus they have crap songs.

3. Tsk Tsk. Women! They'll be wanting the vote and equal employment next! Wouldn't happen back in my day.....

4. It would change from:

Sovereign
    1. The Prince of Wales
    2. Prince William of Wales
    3. Prince Henry of Wales
    4. The Duke of York
    5. Princess Beatrice of York
    6. Princess Eugenie of York
    7. The Earl of Wessex
    8. Viscount Severn
    9. The Lady Louise Windsor
    10. The Princess Royal
    11. Mr. Peter Phillips
    12. Miss Zara Phillips
    13. Viscount Linley
    14. The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones
    15. The Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones
    16. The Lady Sarah Chatto
    17. Master Samuel Chatto
    18. Master Arthur Chatto
    19. The Duke of Gloucester
    20. Earl of Ulster

to:

Sovereign
    1. The Prince of Wales
    2. Prince William of Wales
    3. Prince Henry of Wales
    4. The Princess Royal
    5. Mr. Peter Phillips
    6. Miss Zara Phillips
    7. The Duke of York
    8. Princess Beatrice of York
    9. Princess Eugenie of York
    10. The Earl of Wessex
    11. The Lady Louise Windsor
    12. Viscount Severn
    13. Viscount Linley
    14. The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones
    15. The Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones
    16. The Lady Sarah Chatto
    17. Master Samuel Chatto
    18. Master Arthur Chatto
    19. The Duke of Gloucester
    20. Earl of Ulster

If Peter Phillips renounces his succession rights when he marries then no 20 will be Lord Culloden.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This is all frightfully worthy but as with much spin put out by our current masters - why are they spinning it now?

Why not leave it for the next Queen's speech, or for that matter why have they left it for 10 years. One gets the feeling that they have a bag full of 'goodies' that push certain switches kept in the wings ready to deploy whenever they need to deflect the prols from what's really going on.

They don't give a t'ss about this any more than they give a t'ss about you or me but this piece of constitutional tinkering is probably less damaging than most of their other crass ideas.

What are they covering up?

6. Maybe this is the kind of thing that really does get New Labour voters excited.

After all, the government clearly couldn't give a flying fcuk about making millions of young single people worse off by eliminating the 10% tax band, or having inflation figures routinely regarded as misguided fiction. Perhaps we, the great unwashed, don't understand the key issues.
    More likely, this is a concession to one or two tax rebels to make them vote with their own party later this week.

7. Hi Barbs thats very comprehensive didnt know some of them, but what if, and Sh*t does happen, Prince Charles was to pass away, before succeding to the throne, for whatever reason after the change. Would The Princess Royal succede to the throne and so on. Would that negate the present succession list?

8. Yes, there are probably a lot of Nu Labour supporters who would see themselves and little Jocelyn and Jessica move one or two places nearer the throne!

I personally have two points:

1)This s a piece of disinformatskaya designed to put the HOS and her kin in a bad light, thetreby distracting fire from GB's entrenched position.

2)How dear the Whorelicitor General deign to say that she is "seeking to integrate the Royal Family as far as possible into the human race"? From somebody who lives in the westminster Village, possibly as its idiot du jour, and is about as in touch with the majority of the human race as a polar bear. This woman and her colleagues actually believe the world would be a better, more productive place if more nay all of us were like them. However they see themselves as the Alphas in a Brave New World scenario and you know what that means for the majority of us!

9. No I still believe that Prince William would be King.

10. If that's true, it would be a great thing to happen. Nothing Republican about wanting primogeniture to be abolished: as it stands, the message the succession sends out is that women are not as worthy as men to rule (I know, I know, but save it for the Naafi).

11. Rise up English Catholics and put an end to over 400 years of persecution now. Franz Herzog for King!

12. Jorrocks like the AVATAR think we all liked that photograph till someone discovered its actually a bloke :)

13. Barbs, ref your list - who's Prince Henry of Wales? - Did I miss something:?

Pedantic I know, couldn't resist it though:D

14. "For God, King Harry and St George" means nothing to you, then?

15. Really? And what has this to do with the thread?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_Girl