• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Equality Buffoons Condemn Plymouth Pub Name

Yep its Ashbourne, near the Peak district. Nice place, bit corperate and bland nowaday. The famous Dr Johnson drank in there once years ago and actually wrote about it.

Edited for spelling.

Goku said:
The Muslims were trading in slaves long before the Europeans got involved.
Why not ban Islam, surely it’s offensive to the descendants of slaves?
Awesome point.
Come to think about it, muslims set off bombs in our tube systems and have attempted to kill some of my mates, i find them very offensive and would like them taken away please.

IRRC Barbary (N African) corsairs raided the SW coast of England and took entire villages to be sold as slaves. This was in the 1600's, a century after the exploits the PC brigade are complaining about. Slavery happened
and was mostly abolished by Britain through it's naval power stopping slave ships. Perhaps we should be congratulating ourselves for that not indulging in bleating about how wicked we were

There's a pub called the Blackamoor in Preston - or at least there was.

Who pays for these Racial Equality tosswits?

My/Our bleeding taxes I suppose.

I'm Welsh and the Racial Equality tosswits did b*gger all for the inequality in Twickenham for twenty years, so stuff 'em.

All part of Bliar's totally cattle-trucked Britain.

Don´t know what the fuss is about.

Pub names of the future.

"Public House #34657"

Doesn´t offend anyone and kind of catchy.

As for all this slavery b0110x. I will not apologise for something that was happening well before we started and, more to the point, we put a stop to.

The descendants of slaves should be happy. They are in America or anywhere but Africa. And the very descendants of those who SOLD them in to slavery are living in third world countries.

It wasn´t all British Matelots bashing Africans over the heads and draging them on to the slave boats. Many were sold there by Tribal Cheifs. Either because they were captured in battle or because the Chief fancied reducing his population size and making some cash.

Schleswig-Holstein, I stand (or more correctly, sit) corrected. My point is that it was a long time ago and many people of all colours were involved in it. Africans have always fought each other and taken slaves. I don't see many of the people who are currently shouting the odds about how their ancestors were torn from the bosom of Africa showing any enthusiasm for going back!

Shame, the ole Black Boy now a block of flats! It was the one saving grace of a trip to the river with the family.

As far as this PC obsessed society, nothing surprises me any more. Pubs have just about had their day now, most seem to be fricking gastro pubs anyway. This smoking ban has just about killed the last of em off around here

Awol said:
I was horrified, absolutely horrified, to find that my local B&Q are selling rope and chains. Don't these dirty, money-grabbing corporations realise that these are implements of colonial oppression and torture?

I will be buying my pansies elsewhere in future, that's for sure.
Yes great isn't it :D much better than black nasty

I can beat this!

There's a pub near me called "The Labour in Vain".

The sign is a black boy sitting in a bath, with a white woman scrubbing him!

Last I heard was the PC Brigade are on the case!

chocolate_frog said:
It wasn´t all British Matelots bashing Africans over the heads and draging them on to the slave boats.
IIRC one quarter of the Royal Navy was committed to the West Africa squadron after the abolition of slavery in Britain. Their role was to intercept slave boats, mainly heading for America.

One third of the men in the squadron died of tropical disease. Don't recall anybody in the race relations industry offering thanks for the sacrifice.

mnairb said:
Schleswig-Holstein, I stand (or more correctly, sit) corrected. My point is that it was a long time ago and many people of all colours were involved in it. Africans have always fought each other and taken slaves. I don't see many of the people who are currently shouting the odds about how their ancestors were torn from the bosom of Africa showing any enthusiasm for going back!
Personally, I'm waiting for those dirty Normans who robbed all my Saxon ancestor's land and enslaved 'my people' to apologise and pay reparations.... However, seeing the Saxons came form Jutland and robbed the land off the original Brits (I won't call them Celts) I'm hoping that their descendants won't notice and want a hand out... farking druid-loving hippies

Ancient_Mariner said:
chocolate_frog said:
It wasn´t all British Matelots bashing Africans over the heads and draging them on to the slave boats.
IIRC one quarter of the Royal Navy was committed to the West Africa squadron after the abolition of slavery in Britain. Their role was to intercept slave boats, mainly heading for America.

One third of the men in the squadron died of tropical disease. Don't recall anybody in the race relations industry offering thanks for the sacrifice.
That´s because that wouldn´t allow the "poor victims" to wallow in self-pity and demand payments from the "slavers" for various made up problems.

U

uncle_ho

Why change the name? It has always been the Breton Arms and thats the way it should stay. The name Breton Arms takes it name from the Bretons who sacked that part of the city in the 1400s.
I have no problem with name Hawkins for a pub but why change the name of a pub that has been around for donkeys years whose name actualy means something?

rockhoppercrab said:
Awol said:
I was horrified, absolutely horrified, to find that my local B&Q are selling rope and chains. Don't these dirty, money-grabbing corporations realise that these are implements of colonial oppression and torture?

I will be buying my pansies elsewhere in future, that's for sure.
Yes great isn't it :D much better than black nasty
I was devastated (a much over or misused expression IMHO BTW) to hear AWOL's use of the word "pansies". Does he not realise the harm the use of this expression has caused to generations of milksops, softies and wheezy fat boys best situated on the touch-line with matron?

I shall in future refuse to buy slaves from AWOL as a protest. Sorry did I say slave? I meant of course "companion person".

chocolate_frog said:
As for all this slavery b0110x. I will not apologise for something that was happening well before we started and, more to the point, we put a stop to.
You did a gash job. It's still rife in the Sudan and the ME. Best send a couple more gunboats....

Lardbeast said:
chocolate_frog said:
You did a gash job. It's still rife in the Sudan and the ME. Best send a couple more gunboats....
Well, they have had a few more centuries of experience in the trade.

On the other hand slavery is still rife in Europe too.