Equal Pay for Equal Work

Can I pay hookers under 21 less than your average, older hooker?

The Equality Act 2010 provides the equal pay for equal work.

Because the minimum wage is only a minimum and means workers can be paid more, I’m under the assumption that anyone under 21 who does the same job (with the same company) as someone 21+ that they should both be paid the same (a minimum of £7.38/hour).

This is at best an educated guess and I wondered how employers treated both issues.

No obligation to do so.
Company I work for doesn't pay the same. If you are under 21 you get less.
Don't like it, feel free to find another employer. It isn't up for negotiation and morality isn't a factor.

I don't agree with it but I don't get a say in it either.
Much of the work in our place is low skill minimum wage and we aren't short of people who will take the work.

You are making an assumption based on the morality of it, most emloyers don't really care about that morality only the wage bill.
Sorry Dingerr but thats the reality of it.

No obligation to do so.
Company I work for doesn't pay the same. If you are under 21 you get less.
Don't like it, feel free to find another employer. It isn't up for negotiation and morality isn't a factor.

I don't agree with it but I don't get a say in it either.
Much of the work in our place is low skill minimum wage and we aren't short of people who will take the work.

You are making an assumption based on the morality of it, most emloyers don't really care about that morality only the wage bill.
Sorry Dingerr but thats the reality of it.
Totally agree. And you can’t blame employers for paying the minimum they can get away with.

It’s only for 8 weeks, just gets some money in her pocket. Now I’ve just got to take her to work at 5 in the morning.

The minimum wage by age criteria for under 21s is the legal standard which is applied. Some employers are more generous but most aren't. The wages for apprentices are even worse! Equal pay for equal work doesn't apply for under 21s.
How does it work for the Army? Any exemptions?

Can a unit legally expect two soldiers to do the same job when one is in a PID tagged for RRP and the other isn't?

Totally agree. And you can’t blame employers for paying the minimum they can get away with.

It’s only for 8 weeks, just gets some money in her pocket. Now I’ve just got to take her to work at 5 in the morning.
We are a medium sized company, employing around 200 but many of those are part time (their choice, we don't actively seek part time employees but we do allow it)

I believe that the last increase on the minumum wage added £150,000 a year to our wage bill
We have a very astute CEO, we don't massively emphasis cost cutting other than cutting waste, we focus very much on productivity

Money talks, we as a company must make money. That way the employee's make money too.
Our factory went bust a year ago (for a mulitude of reasons but mainly bad managment at board level) and we were bought out as a distressed sale by the current owner. It has been a very interesting year watching and being part of that turnaround.

I work for a very wealthy and very clever man, he's also a really nice guy.
He is keen to improve the lot of his employees but it has to pay.

Despite money being carefully monitored he spends when his managers can justify it but he expects to see results from it. He expects to see results from the money he spends on people too.
I'm cool with that, its how the world works.

How does it work for the Army? Any exemptions?

Can a unit legally expect two soldiers to do the same job when one is in a PID tagged for RRP and the other isn't?
Are you referring to EOD pics per chance?

It’s always been done on a crap basis. It should be on qualification.

Yet there are people who fail licensing who still receive it, yet an operator in a non EOD PID could be qualified and not receive it.

RRP and add pay should be completely done away with.

It’s a real mess at the moment, they’ve made a massive hash of the restructuring that took place and now there are about 20 service complaints in

Apparently they said at the tech conference today that it will be staying for the foreseeable so the doom mongers are wrong, for the next 5 years at least

ugly

LE
The Equality Act 2010 provides the equal pay for equal work.

Because the minimum wage is only a minimum and means workers can be paid more, I’m under the assumption that anyone under 21 who does the same job (with the same company) as someone 21+ that they should both be paid the same (a minimum of £7.38/hour).

This is at best an educated guess and I wondered how employers treated both issues.
No its an assumption, the company advertises the role with nationally agreed rates which usually means legal minimum by age. Once you get to 25 I think its immaterial but who wants a minimum wage job.
Another great way for Labour to but business support was to create a structure under which they could pay a minimum wage and not be challenged, the minimum being below what is recognised as a living wage.
My son has made several transitions through the pay bands, he started as a food runner (not a waiter and I cant work out the difference) and aged 19 earned the same minimum wage as everyone else aged the same regardless of role. Even when 5 years later qualified as a chef they still paid him the same as a waiter or runner based on age.
I told him to leave, he lives with us and is part time working at the moment until some contract work starts.
The ridiculousness of it all is apparent when you see the train operators offering £24k for training (regardless of age) to be an on board supervisor and £37k on completion of training. I put his CV in! Good companies pay good rates as they dont have shareholders forcing the rates down, they have union negotiated rates.