eplieptic fit

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by adampoo, Oct 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi im currently a regular serving in uk have been in 9 years now. Here is the problem, the other week i was at home when all of a sudden i had a epiletic fit. This is the first one i had ever had, and it scared me a lot. The problem is i havent told anyone at work, in fear that i might discharged or sacked off work. Has anybody got any advice? Or knows anyone who has had one in the forces and what has happened to them?

P.S No spazzer jokes!
  2. If this isnt a wind up then I reccomend you go see a Doc straight away. If you see a private one you can maybe ask them to with-hold your records from the NHS and hence not risk your job if it turns out to be a one off or something (I know nothing of eppillepsy). Really though, you should seriously get this checked out, imagine having one on ops?

3. Yes,we had a lad (tank Regiment) who used to suffer from fits, not very regular but still had them. Knew he was on medication, but unsure if anyone high up knew he had them.

Didnt drive just gunner, did a very rough tour aswell, and never had a fit, so id suggest some sneaky research online, i would keep quiet at the moment, if its the first though id see if it was brought on by something?
  4. Mate, get yourself checked out, do you want to be a liabilty to your oppo's? Fancy being in the sandpit and having another fit, leaving your muckers a bloke down and a casualty to deal with? Besides some people have one and never ever have another , so it might not be bad news!
  5. harder for the enemys bullets to hit you if your breakdancing around the position..
  6. Thanks for the speedy replies, i went to the doc/hospital, but i havent been to the med centre. The other thing is i work as a technician on apaches, and i work up high quite a lot, i dont want to fall and do myself in.

P.S My break dancing is Sh1te
  7. So they said you had a fit i guess, now the thing is did you tell them what job you do, what did they tell you more importantly.

It may be a case of biting the bullet, if the risk is bad enough, saying that as i said do know a lad who did 9 years suffering from infrequent fitting. So may not be bad in the long run.
  8. I preface this by stating that, while I am a doctor, epilepsy is not my specialty. Do not take this as personalised medical advice.

You need to seek medical help. There are sometimes serious reasons behind someone's fitting and this needs to be considered and / or investigated. You need to do this for yourself, let alone the army.

Moreover, I'd strongly suggest you speak to your med centre. I suspect it is unlikely that they would medically discharge a trained tech for a fit if this turns out to be simple epilepsy, but you need to make sure that your job is safe for you to do. If it isn't, you need a different role.

Good luck.
  9. Not only safe for you, but for the Apache pilots who entrust you to service and repair their Aircraft. A slight mishap due to worrying minds could cause a catostrophic accident. I can imagine your job require's your full attention?
  10. As someone who has been in the exact same situation as you, I strongly urge you to seek medical advice. I served in the late 80's early 90's and had epilepsy before joining. I was sent to Aldershot to a consultant and had an EEG and CAT scan to check for brain tumours. I was advised that my petit mal epilepsy( it has anew name now) would not exclude me from service and as a precaution I should always keep my blood sugar level high- plenty of mars bars and sugar in my brews. I was then fit free( and not on medication) for a few years before suffering another seizure in a stressful situation. I was sent back to Aldershot and following a consultation was discharged. This was in the early 90's when potential recruits were queuing up and the Army was turning people away so the situation may be different now. I was told at the time that it wasn't feasible to stay in on the medication that I had been given. Feel free to pm me or ask any questions. Good luck,

11. I remember when my mother had them years ago, everyone just assumed she was an epileptic.

it turned out shed had a blood clot on the brain and this was restricting the blood flow to her brain

id still inform your CO though, as keeping it to long could only make the situation worse
  12. Dear Adampoo:
    Comment from the septic side of the pond.
    About 20 years ago my cousin, young woman, had a major fit. She went through tons of tests (CAT MRI, EEG) and no cause found. She was on meds (Dilantin, aka Phenytoin) for 5 years, no driving for 5 years etc. Her problem was a one off, never recurred.

Also about 20 years ago my son had seizure in aftermath of fractured skull and cracked vertabra (Now that was a really bad day). He was on Dilantin for 6-8 months. Tons of tests, as above, repeated several times over a year. Again it was a one off, never had a recurrance and no lasting effects from his injuries.

Advice from Doc above is 100% correct in my book. By thw way, if you are on Dilantin NEVER stop taking them, even for a day, unless advised to do so by neurosurgeon/neurologist. Dilantin is a drug you have to taper off over weeks. If you stop suddenly it can trigger seisures. Due to misunderstanding of what doc said I stopped my son by mistake. When I told the doctor he was really upset he had not made that clear. No ill effects but we were very lucky.

Best of luck from across the pond. Let us know how things go.
  13. Eh? The only reason I never tried to join was because I automatically assumed having epilepsy (even mild petit mals) excluded me from being able to, now I hear people here in the service who are similarly afflicted and even worse?
  14. They don't prescribe dilantin here in the UK. The most comon medication is Epilim, or Sodium Valporate (non trade name).
  15. One fit does not make you epileptic. It does mean, however, that you should seek proper medical advice.

Whilst you must be worried about yourself and your job have a think on this..... What if you DO have another fit and this time it is behind the wheel of a car (or suchlike) and others died as a result.....how would you feel then?

Please see your MO. It may turn out to be nothing to worry about - and at least you'll know where you are up to.