Epilepsy in the Army - Chances of medcial discharge???

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by levi1045, Aug 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was 18 (APR 2004) when i had my first fit and had been in the army since i was 16years old. As it was seen as a one off (although an EEG confirmed epilepsy), i was allowed to continue to serve and be down graded to P7, as long as there was no further fits. I was not put on any medciation or even explained what type of epilepsy etc. But because i was allowed to serve still, i didnt ask either. I have, over the years, been upgraded to P3 LE and done 2 tours of afghanistan (8 monther and a 6 monther). I have never failed a PFT despite not being allowed to do PT or even use the machines in the gym, should i have a fit, but pushed to be allowed to do the PFT to prove myself in the hope of being upgraded to FE in Oct 2009.
    I have recently had another fit (5 years on, Jul 2009) and havent a clue as to what will happen now. It was the same situation as before and have been warned that i may be medcially discharged. I have recently been promoted to Sgt and have also bought my own house, thinking my career was stable. I can no longer commute from my house as i have had to stop driving and move into the Mess. They are saying that it is classed as re-occuring epilepsy and possible medcial discharge, and i will be out on my arse with nothing but my pension later in life as it is not service related.
    can someone please help me as i am worried what will happen to my career and the fact that i have a house that i will have to sell if i loose my job, which in the current climate is not brilliant!
    surely medication would be the first step????

2. Levi, I'm afraid that I have no practical help for you and I really haven't a clue what the Army may do about this. I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck and I hope things work out OK for you.

3. Levi I am sorry mate. Speak to the Padre or send me a PM I have a few contacts and folk who I can put you intouch with Son. Do not worry, there is a few folk who can help you. We have a support network big lad.