Ephidrine-Is it allowed?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by boro_private, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know it is not allowed in sport, but i know of many lads in the forces taking it to aid thier training.

Is it accepted/not detected on drug testing?

I have been told by many lads in the forces to take it when not at my best in training, don't want to go doing anything stupid.
  2. Are you a journalist mate?
  3. If you really want to use it contact the CDT team and ask them...or ask the M.O. if he / she knows...
  4. I used to take that stuff whilst training and after declaring it on a CDT once I was told 'no problem, we don't test for that'.
  5. There's your answer b_p...
  6. Any prescribed drug taken without prescription is illegal in HMF. There are lots of drugs that are not tested for on CDT such a nubain, amyl nitrate, anabolic and androgenic steroids and ephedrine. It doesn't mean they are legal to take just because they are not tested for. Many are legal to take in civvy street though illegal to supply.

If you get caught taking ephedrine you will most likely be discharged though some units are more 'drug friendly' then others and you may just end up on a drug awareness course with some detention thrown in for good measure.
  7. How long ago was that? Ephedrine HCL was made illegal to sell in the UK in 2004.
  8. Yes Fallschirmjäger that is a good point. I know that products containing Ephedrine were banned in the US. Certainly in Germany the sale of such products is now illegal. Has the UK followed suit? If so then my experience may no longer be relevant. My last CDT was four years ago (I retired in 2004).
  9. Ah, you were quicker :) Cheers for the info.
  10. My bold. If that's the case then I would probably reconsider the post I made a minute ago. If it's unlawful then there's no way it will be allowed in HMF...

Anyway, I've tried it myself and didn't like, I reckon you're just a well off with a strong cup of coffee or a redbull before you train!!
  11. TBH ephedrine is a much more potent stimulant then any cup of coffee or can of red bull though as with any drug it is dosage dependant. Many bodybuilders, strength training athletes and track & field athletes use it to boost training performance and to raise metabolism to lose weight. Many also abuse it for prolonged drinking of alcohol as it is similar to taking a mild form of amphetamine though the make-up of both are completely different. I suppose quite a few squadies use it for both!
  12. Fallschirmjager i agree with what you are saying, many of my friends who are in the forces take it for the training and weight loss purposes, i was offered some to take as i was told it would help, however i am not going to start taking it if it is illegal or will bar me from entry.

I know it is a prescription drug so i didnt know if it was illegal or not.
  13. Please look back on posts - this has already been covered before.

If in doubt..............don't

14. There is a product that can be bought from the Pharmacy that contains either ephedrine or psuedo-ephedrine. I don't know what the difference is but if you can buy it at the chemist surely it's not illegal.

I can't remember what it's called but it something to do with coughing or a sore chest.
  15. Ah, you're thinking of Vick :D