Ephedrine

I was speaking to the CDT recently. They said that when you have a fail it is upto you to prove yourself inocent, not for them to prove you guilty.

Tell the truth mate. Get an appointment with whichever officer best suits the situation. Tell them what you just told us. There is not much else you can do so perhaps the truth and a good a mount of apologising, ass kissing and begging wouldn't go amiss.

In addition to what i said earlier, it is sometimes possible that amounts of pseudoepherdrine (sudafed decongestant) can cause a positive result for epherdrine. the otherway of getting around it is by buying some diet pills over the net that contain epherdrine, tell whomever you need to tell that that is what you were using, and you didnt want to declare it at the time because you were embarased.

drain_sniffer said:
when taking a CDT you are asked if you are taking any medication. Why didnt you mention it at the time?
This is true you know, you can get done on a CDT just for taking codine if you haven't declared it.

In all fairness here, i think the issue is that you were taking a drug to enhance performance that was neither prescribed, nor necessary. Ephedrine is prescription-only, where as Sudafed and codeine (in certain forms) is over-the-counter.

In all fairness here, i think the issue is that you were taking a drug to enhance performance that was neither prescribed, nor necessary. Ephedrine is prescription-only, where as Sudafed and codeine (in certain forms) is over-the-counter.

So how does that go for using weight loss pills from the PX since they have medication within them that is allowed in USA but different to UK, if we have no idea, what is what is any country ?

DesktopCommando said:
So how does that go for using weight loss pills from the PX since they have medication within them that is allowed in USA but different to UK, if we have no idea, what is what is any country ?
Basically anything sold over the counter (OTC) is fine on a CDT even if you don't declare it, though any irregularity will have to be explained if a positive is taken. The MoD can't kick you out for taking something that can be legally bought from a chemist without prescription.
Ephedrine can be bought OTC in the form of Do Do Chesteze which has 18mg of Ephedrine per tablet. Pure ephedrine is prescription only in the UK and is legal to possess. As with any prescription drug in your possession whilst serving in the MoD you need a prescription to validate why you are in possession of ephedrine in its pure form as it cannot be bought OTC.
Having a positive for ephedrine can get you discharged but only if it is proven you are in possession of pure ephedrine tablets without a prescription. In fact you can be discharged for taking any prescription drug without a prescription to back it up if the MoD want to get **** about it.
Look at anabolic steroids. They are not illegal to possess in civvy street unless in quantities deemed large enough for distribution. In the forces you'd be out on your ear for taking them, though again only without a prescription.

Ephedrine also aids in fat loss. And is legally available otc in the u.s. but not here. I would have thought you would be safe with ephedrine as it is widely used in various cold/flu medication.

For an example the some nasal sprays/sticks bought in this country do not contain ephidrine, whereas the same make in US does as Alan Baxter found out to his cost at the olympics a few years ago

Ephedrine (Ephedra) in its purest form is banned in the competitive arena, so unless you can convince them that you were taking it for a cold/asthma then you will be treated the same as someone who has taken performance enhancing substances.

It is a pretty useless drug when taken alone, many athletes took/take it alongside caffeine and aspirin (ECA stack) but gains are normally ownly temporary (15 mins max) but again they run the risk of being disqualified and booted from the team if it is found in their systems.

It was originally banned in the US in Feb 2004 but was overturned in 2005 and supplements containing less than 10 mg of ephedra were allowed back on the market. 2006 saw the FDA ban it again. It has been a restricted substance in the UK since 2003 and available as a prescription only medicine in pure form.

Were you with your own unit when you got CDT or detatched to another "holding" unit? Are your own Regiment aware of your position? Speak to your RCMO (or UWO in confidence). They may feel your case is more suited to a Drugs warning Order rather than full disciplinary/discharge action.

You have nothing to loose by fighting this, take advice off sensible, knowledgable types. Don't let anybody derail you and don't let anybody close you down till you have covered all your options/avenues

But you have to stick to your version, what ever it is. (I'd suggest get advice to see which version you want to put forward.......)

Ignorance is no excuse. There is a minimum precept that if you are putting anything in your body, then you ought to have the good judgement to check on what it contains.

If you are using illegal performance-enhancing drugs then you haven't got a leg to stand on. Indeed like some steroid abusers whio get blood clots in their legs leading to amputation.

Have you made a statement of Denial or admitted. If you deny, the CDT will get the toxicology report to the unit. A toxicologist will make a statment on how it could have came to be in your system. It is very detailed and will form part of the CO's decision making process.

Who told you 3 months to discharge?. Also, for a CDT failure, no Resettlement cse, just the service leavers brief (they may let you attend a CTW?) AF B130A (application for compulsory discharge) will give you the correct paragraph you are being discharged under. For CDT failure it is 9.414, suggest you check. Are you a problem child, they may not want to retain you?

Have you had your CO's interview yet? They can retain you, and put you on an Early Intervention Programme. My unit has done this for a young JNCO who took a non-prescribed medication.

There is a lot to do once a failure is notified, how far down the line are you??

stacker1 said:
hogspawn said:
Surely, IIRC if you were discharged for a CDT failure you were just fcuked off, no resettlement? For a controlled drug ie cannabis/heroin/cocaine etc you were gaoled first weren't you?
Cannibis use is usually just kicked out (sometimes junior ranks can even soldier on).
A CDT WO1 told me only one person had ever failed due to morphone based drug and that person was a nurse who had mental problem.
Not sure on coke I know that people will be discharge from the army because of it but I'm not sure if they go via colly.
Coke (or any class A)is dealt with the same on CDT failure, just no pleas of mitigation, definite discharge. And it's quick too. Last one i did from submitting AF B130A to out the door was 8 days

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Health and Fitness 14
T Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 13
T Health and Fitness 6