Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EORI number now required for all items posted to UK from overseas?

It does seem that all the official notifications refer to "businesses" importing or exporting goods, without realising that millions of private individuals will be affected by this change and most will have no idea that they now need an EORI number in order to receive a Christmas pullover from Aunty Judith in Toronto.

Or to be more specific, they won't actually need one, but the bloke in Toronto Post Office won't know this, and cannot be expected to know this, and so will insist that she gets a hold of her nephew's EORI number.
You picked the wrong example, the Canadian postie won’t say boo, that l can confirm.

You picked the wrong example, the Canadian postie won’t say boo, that l can confirm.
Is he aware of the new rules? It might the case that he simply is unaware of changes to import regulations in the UK that came into force only a week ago.

At the end of the day it's not actually designed for the ease of foreign postal or courier services (other than they presumably don't want to be stuck with an undeliverable package or package that is held up in customs) but to assist the recipient in getting their goods. If you send a package the courier at your end may well accept it without an EORI number for the recipient, but it could still get held up at UK customs.

If you are sending stuff to the UK on a regular basis you perhaps should ascertain the EORI number of the consignee and let the Canadian postman know about it, for your own convenience.

Is he aware of the new rules? It might the case that he simply is unaware of changes to import regulations in the UK that came into force only a week ago.

At the end of the day it's not actually designed for the ease of foreign postal or courier services (other than they presumably don't want to be stuck with an undeliverable package or package that is held up in customs) but to assist the recipient in getting their goods. If you send a package the courier at your end may well accept it without an EORI number for the recipient, but it could still get held up at UK customs.

If you are sending stuff to the UK on a regular basis you perhaps should ascertain the EORI number of the consignee and let the Canadian postman know about it, for your own convenience.
Most Canadians don’t go to the post office in the way you think, the system has outsourced so much that if I want to send a parcel, l print the label at home and drop it off at the local pharmacy, that’s it, no interaction or anything with a postie.

Most Canadians don’t go to the post office in the way you think, the system has outsourced so much that if I want to send a parcel, l print the label at home and drop it off at the local pharmacy, that’s it, no interaction or anything with a postie.
You're quite right, I am not up to date on the minutiae of the Canadian postal service, but what I am now up to date on, as of three days ago, is the explicit requirement to get the recipient's EORI number if you are sending goods to the UK.

The cashier at your local pharmacy might not be aware of that fact, but your recipient and you will become aware of it sooner or later when the parcel you send gets held up in customs because it doesn't have an EORI number.

You can choose to ignore this information if it suits you, it's no skin off my nose.

endure

GCM
News from the front...

The stuff I bought from Aliexpress has arrived.

It was ordered and posted after the 1st Jan.
Aliexpress charged tax on the order.
It was shipped with Aliexpress standard shipping method
When it was shipped I was given a Royal Mail tracking number.
It arrived this morning with Royal Mail Tracked 48 postage on it.
I didn't have to pay any tax/duty in the UK.

I had a supplier send me alot of kit today from Germany but I'm guessing I'll be paying my import duty to the delivery driver on reciept, this is with UPS.

Dunno about Germany but I assume it would be the same as France, being EU rules and all.
Sending goods (NB: as a business - not a private individual) to the UK from France valued less than £135 then the (UK) VAT is paid by the sender.
Anything over £135 it is paid by the recipient.

Unless you are running a business then you do not need an EORI number at all.

Latest Threads