Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EORI number now required for all items posted to UK from overseas?

This may be the wrong thread but it is business-related (it may also be related to the Brexit thread but I don't want it to become lost amid all the twists and turns of that saga).

The basic situation is that I live overseas and regularly send personal and other mail home to the UK, none of which is of any commercial value. Prior to last year I simply used the postal system but with the onset of COVID-19 regular airmail stopped operating and the only way to post overseas is via international courier, EMS is the preferred courier in the post office of the country in which I am currently resident. The system works OK, 10 or so days to deliver to the UK, although it is expensive so I usually wait until I have a stash of things to send and post them together to one address for distribution when it gets there.

I stress again this is personal mail, documents, letters, cards, photos etc none of which has any commercial value. However this week I have been informed that I now need an EORI number to send mail to the UK (Great Britain actually, Northern Ireland may have other arrangements but fortunately the post office here won't be aware of that) I presume this is Brexit-related, if it is, it is, I do not wish to discuss that point.

I was given the UK gov website and duly got myself an EORI number online (I was already registered for tax self-assessment so I got one straight away) and went back to the PO but was informed it is the recipient who needs the EORI number and an email address and phone number for good measure, plus I would need to produce the ID of the recipient, well that bordered on the absurd, how could I possibly produce the ID of someone 8,000 miles away to whom I was sending a package (quite apart from the fact that they are in their 80s and never had an email address in their lives)?

I was able to resolve the situation eventually using my sister's address and her EORI number but it seems to be that this is an extraordinary development and although I keep up to date with UK news I have not seen it reported anywhere. Is it really the case that anyone who is expecting a delivery from overseas now needs to provide the sender with an EORI number? How does that work with unsolicited mail (surely the vast majority of mail we receive)? How does anyone order goods from overseas now?

If your son is in Australia and he sends you photos of the kids at Christmas or you are a modeller and need a spare part from China or you are expecting a second-hand book that you purchased from the US do you really need to provide an EORI number to the sender now, or has my local post office simply got the whole thing mixed up?

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
These might help...and yes it's because of Brexit

http://customsclearances.com/downloads/EORI-NUMBER-Explained.pdf

Although it shouldn't be necessary for personal items just business/commercial. EORI - you or the recipient is not an "economic operator".

I would say that now you and a relative have an EORI number set up, make use of it, as it will likely speed up customs processing.

These might help...and yes it's because of Brexit

http://customsclearances.com/downloads/EORI-NUMBER-Explained.pdf

Although it shouldn't be necessary for personal items just business/commercial. EORI - you or the recipient is not an "economic operator".

I would say that now you and a relative have an EORI number set up, make use of it, as it will likely speed up customs processing.
Thank you, the problem arises with the post office here, no matter how much I insisted that it was simply a load of personal mail I was sending home the clerk insisted I needed an EORI number and in fairness why shouldn't she? How is she to know whether the person I am sending to in the UK is in fact a business and the contents are not of commercial value? She can only play safe and insist that the recipient needs an EORI number.

Has there been any publicity regarding this change? What about all that stuff that people order from China, is everyone in the UK aware that they now need EORI numbers to receive it?

Has there been any publicity regarding this change? What about all that stuff that people order from China, is everyone in the UK aware that they now need EORI numbers to receive it?
I get stuff from China, usually little electronic items and they're coming as normal with the customs declaration on as always.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
The only publicity I have seen is really from within the trade (I work in procurement) I haven't seen much in the general press. You're right though, they are probably erring on the side of caution, either that or they have misinterpreted the rules. Easy enough to do, as some of the websites (.gov especially) is not at all clear about who this should apply to.

Just out of interest, where in the world are you? Feel free to PM

I get stuff from China, usually little electronic items and they're coming as normal with the customs declaration on as always.
It presumably only kicked in on Jan 1, so you may not notice it straight away.

I sent stuff before Christmas and there was no problem. It was only when I went this week that the postal clerk saw the address, took out her phone, looked up a recent WhatsApp message that presumably came from her superiors, and showed me the new rules and explained that I needed an EORI number (as it turns out, it's the recipient in the UK that needs it not the sender).

As @FrosteeMARIA points out it is probably only a case of the clerk erring on the side of caution as she did call her boss who seemed no wiser. The request for phone number, email and recipient's ID would also appear to be surplus to actual requirements.

But it is certainly something that people who regularly order stuff from overseas will need to be aware of.

FWIW, Brexit isn’t the root cause of this, it was coming anyway.
There’s a huge, €7 billion according to the EU, problem across Europe of VAT and tax avoidance by Chinese drop shippers using a European business accommodation address or a Chinese student resident in Europe acting as the POC.

kimmi851

War Hero
I have heard so much about this in letters/emails/phone calls to work about EORI numbers, but nothing at home at all. It know Frostee added some links but the Royal Mail one might also help

Brexit jargon buster | Royal Mail I know it is for the UK but it also describes import details (guess who spent yesterday panicking as she did her Quality paperwork at work and had to double check all our new paperwork is in order).

It does seem that all the official notifications refer to "businesses" importing or exporting goods, without realising that millions of private individuals will be affected by this change and most will have no idea that they now need an EORI number in order to receive a Christmas pullover from Aunty Judith in Toronto.

Or to be more specific, they won't actually need one, but the bloke in Toronto Post Office won't know this, and cannot be expected to know this, and so will insist that she gets a hold of her nephew's EORI number.

I'm noticing second-hand items in the EU advertised on Ebay are now attracting '20% VAT'. I haven't ordered anything this side of the New Year, but it seems to be a bit of a faff to do so.

endure

GCM
If you've ordered anything from Aliexpress since the 1st of January you'll notice that VAT has been added to the bill.

It's an EU wide thing that the EU has delayed until June(?) because of COVID but the UK has put into effect on the date it was supposed to.

If you've ordered anything from Aliexpress since the 1st of January you'll notice that VAT has been added to the bill.

It's an EU wide thing that the EU has delayed until June(?) because of COVID but the UK has put into effect on the date it was supposed to.
Just put something in my basket, no mention of VAT.

endure

GCM
Just put something in my basket, no mention of VAT.
It doesn't appear until you check out

vat1.jpg

theinventor

War Hero
I've certainly been making a point of spending a few pence on tariff insurance when I buy from China.
Screenshot_20210108_115557.jpg
So far, things continue to arrive since 1 Jan

"Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT."

yup, placed an order with Amazon.de Tuesday, now delivered.

Bestellübersicht
Zwischensumme:EUR 18,48
Verpackung und Versand:EUR 6,02
Zwischensumme ohne USt.: EUR 24,50
Umsatzsteuer: EUR 4,91
Endbetrag inkl. USt.: EUR 29,41
Zahlung über Visa: EUR 29,41

endure

GCM
Thanks! Just as well my new CPU is being delivered today :)
I've got some small stuff on the way on which I've paid VAT at Aliexpress already. I'm just wondering what's going to happen when it gets here.

I'll try and remember to post on here when it does.

Latest Threads