EOD find of the century, medals all round.

I cried with relief because I remembered I had met many people including women and children from the town, whose lives might have been turned upside down if this had detonated. Then I recalled that Oxford had been playing Stockport not Southport. Phew, what a lucky escape. Still a bit shaken up though- lucky it was a home match.
The government needs to do something. Where are the PTSD counsellors? Why hasn't the Queen visited the town? Typical that MSM havent reported this...blah blah blah...

Yes, just think, if it hadn't been soaked in seawater daily for the last 80 years .

I wonder what the fuzz did to "deactivate" it, because frankly they'd have had to re-activate it first....
Hit it with a shovel?

To think, they used to hand these things out to us, nilly willy, without mentioning how dangerous they were? Thankfully those crazy days are over, and we live in more peaceful times...

NSP

LE
To think, they used to hand these things out to us, nilly willy, without mentioning how dangerous they were? Thankfully those crazy days are over, and we live in more peaceful times...
To think they sometimes let us put them in these long metal tubes and then set them off by pulling on a little lever thingy. When we were kids, n'all!

To think they sometimes let us put them in these long metal tubes and then set them off by pulling on a little lever thingy. When we were kids, n'all!
Makes my blood run cold...

My memory has just been sold
My angel is the centerfold
Angel is the centerfold

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
He has the flat look of someone who has resigned themselves to a life of mediocrity. His 'find' is insignificant and pointless and he knows it.. but for a brief, fleeting moment the dullness of his existence has been pierced by a tiny glimmer of meaning. When the spark fades, as it inevitably will, he returns, blinking back tears of self pity, to the bland shadows of ordinariness..
Sounds like an RAF pass off parade.

He has the flat look of someone who has resigned themselves to a life of mediocrity. His 'find' is insignificant and pointless and he knows it.. but for a brief, fleeting moment the dullness of his existence has been pierced by a tiny glimmer of meaning. When the spark fades, as it inevitably will, he returns, blinking back tears of self pity, to the bland shadows of ordinariness..
Beautiful prose, reminded me of this chap.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
My wife is from Southport. This weapon of mass destruction might have detonated during her formative years and saved denied me a life of being micromanaged by a hormonal harpy marital bliss.

Not an expert and I could be wrong but that headstamp looks like modern Prvi Partizan Ammunition so it would struggle to have laid 'dormant in the sands for over 80 years'. Calling @stoatman and @4(T)

ETA Crap - beaten to it by instinct!
The salt etc would have totally buggered it, to put it technically. Prvi were in the ammo making business before WWII, but expended most of it during WWII on the Germans.

You should have a look on youtube for some of the videos on metal detecting around WW2 battlefields. Between one bloke who finds old bits of uniforms and other general detritus along with the occasional grenade, clip of live K98 ammo etc, and the Russian guys who go out mob handed and dig up weapons, ammo, grenades, mortar bombs, artillery shells, you name it.

The one bloke (could be dutch of german but speaks reasonable english) always sticks his ammo finds in one place and tells the local coppers, the Russians probably sell them on as scrap or "souvenirs"....
Actually there is a group of Russians who tour WWII battlefields to recover the remains of fallen soldiers, which in the case of Germans are then re-patriated along with any dog tags or such like.

I was thinking more...

There's a unexploded thunderflash down the boiler chimney of my school since someone put it there circa 1986 and it failed to ignite after I let it go.

diehard57

War Hero
Headstamp mark PPU is a former Yugoslavian ammo manufacturer now in Serbia and Montenegro.