EOD find of the century, medals all round.

I cried with relief because I remembered I had met many people including women and children from the town, whose lives might have been turned upside down if this had detonated. Then I recalled that Oxford had been playing Stockport not Southport. Phew, what a lucky escape. Still a bit shaken up though- lucky it was a home match.

I nearly fell out my chair laughing when I read that in the article. He mustn't get out very often.
He has the flat look of someone who has resigned themselves to a life of mediocrity. His 'find' is insignificant and pointless and he knows it.. but for a brief, fleeting moment the dullness of his existence has been pierced by a tiny glimmer of meaning. When the spark fades, as it inevitably will, he returns, blinking back tears of self pity, to the bland shadows of ordinariness..

He has the flat look of someone who has resigned themselves to a life of mediocrity. His 'find' is insignificant and pointless and he knows it.. but for a brief, fleeting moment the dullness of his existence has been pierced by a tiny glimmer of meaning. When the spark fades, as it inevitably will, he returns, blinking back tears of self pity, to the bland shadows of ordinariness..
Panorama script writer walt

The ghost of Andy Warhol is among us...

You should have a look on youtube for some of the videos on metal detecting around WW2 battlefields. Between one bloke who finds old bits of uniforms and other general detritus along with the occasional grenade, clip of live K98 ammo etc, and the Russian guys who go out mob handed and dig up weapons, ammo, grenades, mortar bombs, artillery shells, you name it.

The one bloke (could be dutch of german but speaks reasonable english) always sticks his ammo finds in one place and tells the local coppers, the Russians probably sell them on as scrap or "souvenirs"....

Not an expert and I could be wrong but that headstamp looks like modern Prvi Partizan Ammunition so it would struggle to have laid 'dormant in the sands for over 80 years'. Calling @stoatman and @4(T)

ETA Crap - beaten to it by instinct!
It is a modern round, I've got a few hundred rounds with PPU brass sitting next door in my reloading den. That round seems to be missing the primer so it's not exactly a live round unless EOD pulled the bullet and de-primed the case which isn't very likely because the primer hole is full of crud.

The local EOD unit were dealing with a live roll of caps in Clitheroe at the time and were double booked.
I remember when you could buy caps without a firearms licence. Not that we would have got a licence at that age. These days there would be one of two reactions if you went in to a shop and asked if they had any caps.
"Caps?! Where the **** do you think this is? Bloody Yorkshire?!" or if you'd tried explaining what caps were they'd call an armed response unit.

You need an FAC to buy caps? FFS. You presumably have to have club membership to buy football cards and an engineer's license to buy Airfix models?

and an engineer's license to buy Airfix models
Don't exaggerate (I've told you a million times...), no such licence is needed for the kit.

You do, however, need to be over 65, be DBS checked and have a signed note from both of your parents to buy the glue.

This find probably beats the lethal high explosive torpedo fuse I found washed up at Birchington on Sea.

It may have been a Cornetto though come to think of it.

NSP

LE
Wow how lucky am I? Had to handle TEN of those every year in the ATC.

CFB
Is that all? We would have three or four turns at the point for the SMLE part of a range day when I was a Spacey, ten of 'em per turn...

Then we'd swap over with the butt party so they could have a go, break for lunchtime sarnies then take another set of turns at the point. With <gulp> that rifle...

Just think what could have happened if this huge bomb cache had gone off ?

The bravery of our EOD boys who without any thought for their own safety arrived on scene and defused this weapon of mass destruction by chucking in the bin outside Burger King on the way home.

WW2 ammunition uncovered buried in Southport sands | On The Spot (OTS) News Southport
Stand the men down, SGT James. It's just a primerless Enfield round that some twat has dropped from his ammo pouch. :rolleyes::p:cool:

Danger UXB.jpg

Covid-19, a looming recession, mass unemployment and riots, now we have the largest ammo dump ever discovered in a bucket of sand, the worlds gone mad I tell you, I fear for all our lives, thank god it didn’t go off and ruffle his hair