Entitlement to participate in sport and adventure training

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by outsider_1970, May 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Can anyone confirm the entitlement to participate in sport and adventure training? I am attached to the diretorate of another arm and have been told (unofficially) that I am not enctitled to participate in the sports and adventure training activities that take place as I am not the same cap badge. Apparantly the reason is because they use non-public money to subsidise the activities and this money is only for those in the particular Arm or service concerned. Is this true and if so where is such a rule laid down? Thanks for your help!
  2. in_the_cheapseats

    in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

    Utter crap. Sounds like you work for a bunch of *******. Name and shame please?

    I didn't have any probs taking individuals form any number of arms when I went sailing - primarily from the Inf.

    If your local unit won't grant you money, simply apply to your own capbadge for additional contributions to bring down your cost.
  3. Depends what the activity is.

    Some courses are run on a centralised basis, by Army or Joint Service units (in England there are Joint Service Parachute Centres at Netheravon - run by the Army, and Weston on the Green - run by the RAF). Cost to participants - nil.

    Cost of progression in skydiving . . . well, that is to some extent up to you - but it don't come for nothing.

    Much (most?) of the adventure training in the Army takes the form of 'expeditions' or 'exercises' that are organised by units, or by cap-badges.

    These things cost money - quite often Regimental (i.e. non-public) funds cover part of the cost, and participants are expected to contribute as well.

    Ignore Cheapseats - do a bit more research and planning.
  4. Thanks, I will do more research. Initially I am looking to try out for some of the unit teams. Also, for individual events such as orienteering, if the unit sends a minibus I want to check if I'm allowed to travel on it or use my own car. Advice on this would also be very gratefully received!
  5. in_the_cheapseats

    in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

    Why, Stonker? Because I disagree with you on the area you are "font of all knowledge" on another thread? Childish.......

    Quite true these things cost money. But if you are on a units books, the unit centrally takes this from T&S for adventure trg. Individuals, particularly if it is lvl 3 trg will be asked to fork out to cover the cost unless, as I said, you manage to get additional funds from your own regt or capbadge.

    However, as he says....

    This is utter rubbish and it is OOO for a unit to discriminate to this level and suggests that the unit isn't looking after its attached arms. As I asked, name and shame.

    T&S covers costs for sport for competition such as orienteering. However, most money does come from non public funds. Check for sports subs going into mess funds. There is cash there if you are contributing.

    Back in your box, Stonker.