Entire Turkish military command quits.

Imagine that! A military top brass with the guts to stand up for what it believes in. Instead of toeing the line and accepting directorships in PMC upon retirement...

Turkey is, has been, a bulwark against all manner of threats. The military are formidable. The government is of the moslem extremist variety - or it would be if the military did not exist.

Interesting and potentially very dangerous.

I have no doubt the 'usual limp-wristed liberal leaning suspects' will weigh in with their defence of the 'democratically elected government' with no consideration to the effect a rabid islamic Turkey would have on the free world.

Are you really saying the military is the only thing stopping Turkey going the way of all the other Islamic Theocracies of the Middle East?

Having been to Turkey on multiple occasions, I can tell you that most Turks I have spoken to at least love living in a Secular Democracy and are very proud of it, and there is nothing 'radically Islamic' about them

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Turkey is, has been, a bulwark against all manner of threats. The military are formidable. The government is of the moslem extremist variety - or it would be if the military did not exist.

I have no doubt the 'usual limp-wristed liberal leaning suspects' will weigh in with their defence of the 'democratically elected government' with no consideration to the effect a rabid islamic Turkey would have on the free world.
Go back to your Daily Mail and tranquellisers there a good chap.

The ruling Justice and Development party are a MILDLY Islamic party, in a similar manner to the CDU in Germany are Christian but NOT lynching Jews as the decendents of Christ killers. The possibility exists that they COULD be taken over by the radical fringe but in that event I suspect the balance of power would swing back to the military re:- public support. Couple of Turkish guys I know are (rightly) proud of how their government opperates compared to a lot of the post-colonial (of a sort) states. Ataturk managed to set up institutions that ran WITHOUT a cult of personality unlike for example just about anywhere in Africa.

It IS a worrying development without a doubt, but so is a NATO nation that has a coup every few years whenever the Generals decide the Government isn't pliant enough. I say wait and see.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you really saying the military is the only thing stopping Turkey going the way of all the other Islamic Theocracies of the Middle East?

Having been to Turkey on multiple occasions, I can tell you that most Turks I have spoken to at least love living in a Secular Democracy and are very proud of it, and there is nothing 'radically Islamic' about them[/QUOTE

Yep

And the fact that some of the politicians in Istanbul want to eventually lead Turkey into a theocratic state, is not a reason for the Turkish military to undertake their constitutional mission.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
'Itler was in a minority govt as well if my teacher was correct he did jump from airplanes before teaching though :)

I hope they checked the small print on their pensions, unless they are going to be saviors after the next coup run by the lesser generals and colonels who will hand over to a new ex army party.

Any Muslim country who stands up to Israeli Terrorism is considered as the "Moslem Extremist".

These labels of Islamist government are wrong, they are secularists

Having been to Turkey on multiple occasions, I can tell you that most Turks I have spoken to at least love living in a Secular Democracy and are very proud of it, and there is nothing 'radically Islamic' about them[/QUOTE

Yep

And the fact that some of the politicians in Istanbul want to eventually lead Turkey into a theocratic state, is not a reason for the Turkish military to undertake their constitutional mission.
Turkey should cutt all ties with America and join back with the SCO....I sense American meddling there, and Israel trying to get the govt overthrown to stop the fortilla concerns being brought up/

Turkish military are very loyal to their Chain of Command and Country, They will not contenance any move towrads greater Islamic control as they really do see themselves as responsible for maintaining a secular state.

And our top brass are not far behind them by the looks of things.

There are a lot of our generals who are quietly pissed off at the way things are being done by our ever disoriented out of touch government.

They keep quiet because they don't wish to upset the government and their loyalty to the crown.

If they air their voice in public they know that the government will simply axe them, so self preservation is the generals personal top priority.

And our top brass are not far behind them by the looks of things.

There are a lot of our generals who are quietly pissed off at the way things are being done by our ever disoriented out of touch government.

They keep quiet because they don't wish to upset the government and their loyalty to the crown.

If they air their voice in public they know that the government will simply axe them, so self preservation is the generals personal top priority.
I must disagree; if they truly had loyalty to the crown and were not just worried about their pensions then they WOULD upset the government. Someone has to call them to account. That would show true loyalty.

On another note, when I live in Turkey in the early 80's there was a military government and a curfew in Istanbul and other major cities. At the time the military were hated as enemies of democracy. How times change.

Erdogan is a bit of a twat anyway. Last week he was in northern Cyprus stirring up sentiment in a generations long dispute that had become fairly quiet recently. In fact, after the massive Mari explosion on 11th July, which destroyed the power station responsible for half S.Cyprus' generating capability, the north had been supplying power to the south and relations were improving.

I have come to be very impressed with Turkish military officers. They can be incredibly formal and they treat their ORs like dogs, but their education, dedication and integrity is excellent. Perhaps they should run the country again.

Latest Threads