Entire Turkish military command quits.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Jul 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very informative LINK.

Well spotted!

This could/should get interesting! :nod:
  2. Anyone fancy a coup???
  3. Imagine that! A military top brass with the guts to stand up for what it believes in. Instead of toeing the line and accepting directorships in PMC upon retirement...
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Turkey is, has been, a bulwark against all manner of threats. The military are formidable. The government is of the moslem extremist variety - or it would be if the military did not exist.

Interesting and potentially very dangerous.

I have no doubt the 'usual limp-wristed liberal leaning suspects' will weigh in with their defence of the 'democratically elected government' with no consideration to the effect a rabid islamic Turkey would have on the free world.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Are you really saying the military is the only thing stopping Turkey going the way of all the other Islamic Theocracies of the Middle East?

Having been to Turkey on multiple occasions, I can tell you that most Turks I have spoken to at least love living in a Secular Democracy and are very proud of it, and there is nothing 'radically Islamic' about them
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - Turkey: Military chiefs resign en masse (c) Auntie

Given that the military see themselves as the guardians of the secular state and inheritors of Ataturk, as well guarantors of NATO's security, I can't see any intervention on the part of the govt (unless it comes from Iran).
  7. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Go back to your Daily Mail and tranquellisers there a good chap.

The ruling Justice and Development party are a MILDLY Islamic party, in a similar manner to the CDU in Germany are Christian but NOT lynching Jews as the decendents of Christ killers. The possibility exists that they COULD be taken over by the radical fringe but in that event I suspect the balance of power would swing back to the military re:- public support. Couple of Turkish guys I know are (rightly) proud of how their government opperates compared to a lot of the post-colonial (of a sort) states. Ataturk managed to set up institutions that ran WITHOUT a cult of personality unlike for example just about anywhere in Africa.

It IS a worrying development without a doubt, but so is a NATO nation that has a coup every few years whenever the Generals decide the Government isn't pliant enough. I say wait and see.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Mr_Fingerz

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

'Itler was in a minority govt as well if my teacher was correct he did jump from airplanes before teaching though :)

I hope they checked the small print on their pensions, unless they are going to be saviors after the next coup run by the lesser generals and colonels who will hand over to a new ex army party.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You call this news?
    Amy Winehouse just got buried FFS!
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Sorry thought that this was the Naafi Bar.
  12. Any Muslim country who stands up to Israeli Terrorism is considered as the "Moslem Extremist".

These labels of Islamist government are wrong, they are secularists
  14. Turkish military are very loyal to their Chain of Command and Country, They will not contenance any move towrads greater Islamic control as they really do see themselves as responsible for maintaining a secular state.