ENT concern

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by bitty, Aug 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i'm hoping to join the int. corps ranks but the one thing that's causing me concern is a history of ear trouble.

when i was a kid, i had a series of pretty nasty ear infections (i blame the parents). this has left me with a hearing loss of 20 decibels in on ear. i had some light surgery about 3 years ago to clean up what was left of the bones in the ear and haven't had any trouble since then.

can anyone offer an informed opinion/qualified advice as to whether or not this will put pay to me joining? i had a police medical and they said it was no problem, if thats any help.
  2. Why are the police advising you on the medical entry requirement into the int corps?
    If I was you I wouldn't listen to police (pun intended) I would post a question on a military/medical type website?

3. the police aren't advising me but a while back i applied for the police and had a medical check-up as part of that. so any helpful advice?
  4. Always check your boots before you put them on when you are in the desert.
  5. good, thanks for that. if there's one thing that gets on my wick, its fcuking spiders in the boots. any thoughts on the ear query?
  6. No you should be fine, never heard of spiders in the ear in the desert.
    Saying that always a first time, best check your ears before you put them as well.
  7. It won't be a problem. The parameters for each hearing standard are quite broad. You would have to be deaf as a post not to get in. (Anyway, if you're not deaf now, you probably will be by the time you're thirty!) :D
  8. thanks invictus, it wasn't the hearing i was worried about so much as the fact that it USED (fingers crossed) to be a recurring problem. im not sure of the technicalities but i know that one or two of the three (?) bones in the ear are damaged.
  9. No diving for you then.
  10. I've got an ENT concern myself, I had mumps last year and my face swelled up like a chipmunk, and the resulting pressure damaged my inner ears. I lost my sense of balance which has only recovered partially because my eyes compensate for the disability. My last scan revealed no improvement after a year, and apparantly it may never recover. Apart from all this, I'm otherwise fit and healthy. Do the army tend to boot out freaks like us, or can we be moved to another trade? I've done ten years as a chef and can't work in a kitchen because of the hazards in the kitchen environment. I don't fancy the idea of getting out though. Any thoughts?
  11. that sounds nasty mike. thankfully, i don't have any loss of balance. invictus, you're right on the diving but then the fact that i get agonising pain in my ears below about 2 metres gave me a hint some time ago that life as a frogman wasn't for me.
  12. Not sure if you have found an answer to this yet, but I posed the question to a military Occupational Health bod to find out what the formal view is. His response is quoted word for word below:

"Obviously hearing and diseases of the ear are assessed under the HH of the PULHHEEMS, ranging from 1 to 4 and 8. The PULHHEEMS Pamphlet 2000 gives a table of the minimum medical standards for entry to the Army, by Arms and the minimum requirement for Int Corps is H2 H2. Although it's not requiring perfect hearing, H2 is still reasonably good level of hearing. The potential recruit should ask his GP to grade his hearing loss as H measurements (standard measurement in medical and occupational world) or apply to join, declare the problem and let the recruiting centre arrange measurement."

So, to summarise: The 'H' in the PULHHEEMS stands for 'Hearing' and is graded from 1-4 (Forget the 8 for now!) where 1 is excellent and 4 is poor. Int requires H2 in both ears. Option of GP or military doc to assess. If you need any more help let me know and I will go back to the expert!

13. How about becoming an Army musician ?
  14. Thanks for the letter Pangur, but hearing's not my problem, it's BALANCE. I can hear perfectly. On the topic of PULHHEEMS, how is a loss of balance addressed? Could I tip up to a medical officer for PULHHEEMS and be given a clean bill of health? Doesn't really add up, does it?