Ensuring no sock puttets

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Kromeriz, Jul 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not an IT bloke but the site needs to crack down on sock puppets.

How you do it? No idea. However, it needs doing.

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Simple. The COs just need to put up a notice saying Sockpuppets are banned then rely on the site loyalty and integrity of ARRSERs to comply.

Easy peasy.
    • Like Like x 9
  3. Easy cheers for the answer. I fear far more effort will be required. Credit Card subscription of GPB1 or whatever... would beat putting up with the advertisements.
  4. I'm a former SAS sniper and I have trouble remembering all my usernames and what kit I've stashed in my attic so obviously any rules wouldn't apply to me. Cheers easy.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Although got to admit to Kromz point of nominal subsctiption to post.
  6. It may be just me, but I cannot understand why anyone would want several accounts to post from, unless of course you have multiple personalities, or are simply just a mong...
    • Like Like x 3
  7. ARRSE isn't what it used to be etc. I think I've seen similar posts before.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm torn. Do I correct the thread title or not?

On the one hand, it's going to annoy me as is but on the other, the P is nowhere near the T on the keyboard. Maybe it was deliberate?

Who knows (or dares to dream!).
    • Like Like x 11
  9. Good idea, while they're about it perhaps they could forbid users from posting while pissed. :roll:
  10. Maybe he means Sock Puttees??
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Good Evening

One mans sock puttet is another's mans genius

12. I suppose there's probably a way to limit the number of users who can log on from a particular IP, but that would discriminate against people who live in the block/mess use mobile internet or where two users live together.
  13. A breathaliser app?

I think the COs realise how much site traffic will drop then. There'll be no ****** on at the weekends and some people would never be able to post again.

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Suck Poppets.... Never bite down or you'll break your teeth. Especially the toffee ones.
  15. Nice to see Krom keeping up his abstinence from alcohol.