Enlistment age for potential officer (Sandhurst)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Jedi13, Jan 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spent 4 years in 2 PARA 2000 -2004 and have worked in security for a few years since. I am currently in University (studying Contemporary Military and International History) and finish when I am 29 years and 11 months. Will there be any leeway in age as the maximum age limit is 28 years and 11 months for me to apply for infantry or intelligence corp officer roles

Any information on this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jedi13

2. Not sure when it’s coming in but I believe an age cap is being placed on those going for the infantry something around the 26 mark I believe.

As for age limits, there was a bloke in my platoon who got a waiver through the REME for entry into RMAS over the age limit though I cannot remember how old he was (except he was the same age as our Platoon Commander).

RustyH

3. I am by no way an expert on the matter, but would that not be classified as re-enlisting? As i believe exceptions are made for age if the candidate is re-enlisting.

4. Thanks for the info, I understand it to be re-enlistment, but I get different information from different people. Probably best biting the bullet and going to the army careers office next week and find out more information. The RAF and NAVY both have higher recruitment ages for officers so worth a try. Thanks for your help

5. No problem. Like I said i am no expert on the matter and going to the Careers Office is by far your best bet. I gained my minimal knowledge from a book titled Squaddie by Steven McLaughlin. I am sure that if the bloke was able to re-enlist in his mid thirties, albeit as an OR, then you will have no problem.

6. Is this from a reliable source?

Very worrying for me if this is true.....

7. Xoums,

Do you have previous?

What is you choice of arm?

There are exceptions allowed dependent on circumstance and ability but age and fitness are important

Feel free to PM

8. I have it from a very reliable source. However, it's not in place yet.

9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

In other words, a rumour.

To the original poster: get yourself down to an ACO sharpish and get the real gen. My suspicion is that you will be a borderline case but previous service will probably count in your favour.

10. yeah I am planning to go in tomorrow. I need to know for sure. Thanks for all the help

11. Bumping this, I'm reliably I formed that the upper age limit for RMAS entry will be 26 from early 2012, March, possibly May.

I'm in the process coming up from the ranks and my paperwork output has just accelerated no end as I'm 26 at the end of the year.

12. Yes this has been recently announced and from what Ive read you have to be at Sandhurst by the age of 26 but your ACA Officers will give you more details.