Enlisting into the AGC at 30.

I am thirty years of age and a graduate. I have been working in financial services for the last number of years and am currently in a supervisory position. I’m also a part qualified accountant with at least two more years of exams away from being fully qualified.

I have always wanted to join the military however as the lifestyle and idea of service appeals to me. I am considering the AGC and SPS in particular as I believe this would suit my individual skill set and I believe I could put my experience to some more worthwhile use within the forces.

I am too old to apply for a commission in the Army but did so for the RAF and was told that I was too “old and bold” to be considered even to go to OASC (The RAF version of AOSB).

I am wondering what the promotion prospects enlisting at thirty would be for someone who is motivated, has experience, qualification and should be a qualified accountant in a few years. I understand that the first years would be taken up with quite basic level work but this time could be put to good use working towards my ACCA.

I understand that more money is available in private sector and the difficulty of the age gap on joining. What would promotion prospects up to NCO be like at my age and would an LE commission be possible? All this assumes going for it, getting in and being any good of course!

Oh and I’m male if that makes a difference!

B

bumgrapes

Don't worry, the others you serve with of a similar age will accept you as a peer and equal. Rank won't be an issue.

When you get in. Make sure you show your instructors that you think they are 'alright', even if thy are a bit younger.

Hope that helps

Auldsod, bumgrapes is on the register and only replied so he can show his PO that he can interact with older people 18+. In basic its common to go out drinking with your DS to show you fit in

ugly

LE
Id be worried about carrying all that extra weight, you know the sort you get from eating Sally bash rolls between breakfast and naafi break and again in between naafi and lunch and again, get the idea?

Do you really want to be a clerk in the army? Regardless of job title that is all you will be

Id be worried about carrying all that extra weight, you know the sort you get from eating Sally bash rolls between breakfast and naafi break and again in between naafi and lunch and again, get the idea?

Do you really want to be a clerk in the army? Regardless of job title that is all you will be
I had kind of figured that it wouldn't be one of the "sexier" jobs in the army alright but it's what I'm good at. My current job isn't too exciting either so a clerk in the army doesn't sound as bone as you might think.

I wouldn't really be interested though unless there was good opportunity for promotion etc. I am thirty after all!

I suppose my real question is, if you are good at the job and are qualified as an accountant; is promotion to senior NCO or and LE commission very possible? Making such a big move at this stage wouldn't be worth it if I was topping out as a Corporal!

ugly

LE
Perhaps a more sexy role in the reserves is possible?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
OK, a sensible reply to your question:

Yes, you will be able to promote in line with your peers, subject to your Annual Report. However, as a Pte/JNCO the chances of you using any accounting qualifications are practically nil as you need to be a Sgt to be a Regt Acct. You will find that some of the tasks you will be required to do may make you feel... overqualified. You will find that you are employed on a lot of bone tasks that you, at your age, experience and qualifications, may find demeaning.

However, with a good Det and a good RAWO/RAO they will seek to exploit your knowledge and push you onto courses to get you promoted at the earlies possible point. But not all RAWOs/RAOs are as keen to look after your career as they are theirs.

Uh-oh...Now you've done it. Sluggy isn't going to take kindly to being dissed. :threaten: :omg:

Instant Karma.jpg

I am thirty years of age and a graduate. I have been working in financial services for the last number of years and am currently in a supervisory position. I’m also a part qualified accountant with at least two more years of exams away from being fully qualified.
Newly qualified Accountant with a financial services background? In/around London? A comparable salary in the Army would be WO2/WO1/Captain/Major. That's a lot of rank to earn!

As has been said above, you'll only get to use your qualification (and even then it's in a non-commercial environment) at Sergeant. Skill fade and a lack of CPD could see you lose your qualification, depending on which one you're aiming at, and from my memory it should be CIMA, as that's the one the Army were preferring. Should you leave, the non-commercial may limit your career choices.

Army Reserve is a good option, lots of units with vacancies for clerks and with good promotion prospects as competition up to Corporal is quite often minimal. Sergeant upwards is harder, as once in post, people stay.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was otherwise detained by a Stag party for the weekend (another symptom of approaching one's thirties. I'll have to clarify that I am part qualified so I have some of the exams completed with a number left to sit. My employment doesn't explicitly require that you be an accountant but it does improve chances of promotion if you get the qualification. I'd estimate that I will have the remaining exams within 18-24. I am working towards the ACCA but exemptions can be cross granted for CIMA so that wouldn't be an issue.

Army Reserve may be the wisest choice but I suppose I'm thinking of a total life/career change and I would most likely do something a bit more "warry" if I was to join the reserve. As for the mention of London salaries; living near or in London also means living with the London cost of living with could be negated by most likely not living in the London area serving with the forces and other economies.

It does give me a lot to think about and I guess I should talk to a recruiter but my experience with the RAF has shown that they can often have less knowledge of the more niche career paths! I wouldn't mind marking time for a few years after basic training and phase 2 as my current job is fairly mundane as it is! How long would it generally take to reach sergeant in the regular AGC given prior knowledge, training, relative maturity and hopefully an aptitude? I'm hoping faster would be possible!

Thanks for all replies!

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was otherwise detained by a Stag party for the weekend (another symptom of approaching one's thirties. I'll have to clarify that I am part qualified so I have some of the exams completed with a number left to sit. My employment doesn't explicitly require that you be an accountant but it does improve chances of promotion if you get the qualification. I'd estimate that I will have the remaining exams within 18-24. I am working towards the ACCA but exemptions can be cross granted for CIMA so that wouldn't be an issue.

Army Reserve may be the wisest choice but I suppose I'm thinking of a total life/career change and I would most likely do something a bit more "warry" if I was to join the reserve. As for the mention of London salaries; living near or in London also means living with the London cost of living with could be negated by most likely not living in the London area serving with the forces and other economies.

It does give me a lot to think about and I guess I should talk to a recruiter but my experience with the RAF has shown that they can often have less knowledge of the more niche career paths! I wouldn't mind marking time for a few years after basic training and phase 2 as my current job is fairly mundane as it is! How long would it generally take to reach sergeant in the regular AGC given prior knowledge, training, relative maturity and hopefully an aptitude? I'm hoping faster would be possible!

Thanks for all replies!
I may be able to provide some advice:

To cut to the chase, what you want does exist but it's going to take you far longer than you realise or would want.

As a Cpl recommended for promotion you can apply for sponsorship to complete the CIMA qualification. Balancing this with work commitments would mean 2-3 years of study, or less depending on your exemptions.

At the point when you are ready to complete the last few exams, you would be posted on the REM (basically a training position) and would then join Management Accountancy Services (Army) as a SSgt. You are expected by this point to have a recommendation for promotion to SSgt having obviously already gained Sgt in the time scale we are looking at.

So, a number of hurdles to overcome:

To be a Cpl with a recommendation for Sgt is possible in 6 years, if you are good.
Add on 2 years study and assume you promote Sgt first look and get a recommendation for promotion to SSgt in your first report, you are looking at 8/9 years. Add a year for you to get through recruitment and basic training and you are looking at 10 years, absolute minimum.

There are a number of reasons why all of the above is unlikely to happen, and largely through no fault of your own. Drop me a PM if you want some further information.

As mentioned elsewhere, as an SPS soldier you will not be employed as an accountant. The roles at Sgt/SSgt are essentially bookkeeping positions dealing with Public and Non public funds and while there are technical finance roles that come at WO2/WO1, you would not be employed as an accountant.

If it's the change of lifestyle you want, have you considered any other trades still open to you at 30?

I may be able to provide some advice:

To cut to the chase, what you want does exist but it's going to take you far longer than you realise or would want.

As a Cpl recommended for promotion you can apply for sponsorship to complete the CIMA qualification. Balancing this with work commitments would mean 2-3 years of study, or less depending on your exemptions.

At the point when you are ready to complete the last few exams, you would be posted on the REM (basically a training position) and would then join Management Accountancy Services (Army) as a SSgt. You are expected by this point to have a recommendation for promotion to SSgt having obviously already gained Sgt in the time scale we are looking at.

So, a number of hurdles to overcome:

To be a Cpl with a recommendation for Sgt is possible in 6 years, if you are good.
Add on 2 years study and assume you promote Sgt first look and get a recommendation for promotion to SSgt in your first report, you are looking at 8/9 years. Add a year for you to get through recruitment and basic training and you are looking at 10 years, absolute minimum.

There are a number of reasons why all of the above is unlikely to happen, and largely through no fault of your own. Drop me a PM if you want some further information.

As mentioned elsewhere, as an SPS soldier you will not be employed as an accountant. The roles at Sgt/SSgt are essentially bookkeeping positions dealing with Public and Non public funds and while there are technical finance roles that come at WO2/WO1, you would not be employed as an accountant.

If it's the change of lifestyle you want, have you considered any other trades still open to you at 30?
Thanks a million for the advice Bukem. It does seem that there are quite a few hurdles to overcome when it comes to going down that route but I would think that aiming high isn’t a bad thing. Real issue here seems to be age as the process below seems to be a great opportunity for someone who is switched on but also younger. Assuming that I was good (big assumption of course); I wouldn’t see the first six years as not being that much of a negative. I would also expect to complete all of those exams off my own bat within the timeframe of first applying up until and before recommendation for promotion to Sergeant. Could this grease the wheels of promotion a bit or is promotion highly rigid?

I have considered other roles but with my age and qualifications, I wouldn’t see starting on a new trade from scratch as being necessarily a good idea. I would also want to factor in pace of possible promotion etc too for the aforementioned age reasons. I guess I’ll take another luck at what jobs would be good for an old and bold graduate but I’m getting the gist that I may just have too many miles on the clock at this stage! Also sent a PM.

Slight thread drift but this why I don't understand the push for a CIMA qualification. AAT would provide the level of knowledge required for a bookkeeper. If the role really does call for an accountant, then they should be supplied by the Civil Service.

Latest Threads