Enlisting as an officer- the rough guide

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by young_lofty, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Edited by mod - out of date!

See page 4 of this thread for an updated version.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  2. It's a start and a good one at that :)

3. This is a very good guide, link already passed to one member of clan jeep. Just seems a pity that the MOD haven't put this sort of thing together rather than rely on a motivated recruiter.

(fawn over)

4. Hithankyew. :bow:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thankyou for this; exactly what I needed.

Where it says you need A-Levels; is that A levels or are AS Level passes ok? I'd assume not but just checking.

Thanks, great guide :)

6. I'll be brutally honest, I don't know. I joined up aged 16 straight after secondary school, and to be truthful I don't know the difference between A levels and AS levels. If I were you, I'd click the link for the officers forum in the first post and do a search, I would be suprised if the answer cannot be found in there.

7. Okey dokey. Thanks for your help :)

8. Moved from the JU Forum.

9. Negative, 5 Grade C GCSE inc Maths and English or equivalent (this includes the Government backed Certificates in Adult Numeracy and Literacy), no science or language is required (but they like it)

150 UCAS points is minimum

Trust me, this will suffice for the CV and get you to Briefing if you've got a bit of 'life experience'.

10. When I left the TA and tried to go regs, my application was rejected as the only take A levels which are D or above. They also except certain other qualifications but they dont accept all of those stated on the UCAS website.

Just to add that even though ucas points are designed to allow entry to university, degrees or masters degrees do not count towards UCAS points even though they are higher qualifications. Im still waiting for an answer as to why that is.

12. Technically, you're right, but then your comment is like saying, "A levels are classed as a 'higher' echelon than degrees", we know this isn't the case but as long as you are nearing the end of your degree, and have the points towards your degree (300 points for foundation degree, 360 for degree (Hons) then you should be fine...

This last comment shed's more light as to why you're 170 isn't ticking the boxes. Look, AOSB will let certain things slide in lieu of other benefits that you can bring to the service. You've admitted that your points consist of NVQ's, a 'dodgy' (?) A level plus one A/S level. You can get points for getting crap scores, the scores are still looked at by AOSB's Education Officer.

Points don't always win prizes, substance can count for more. It's obvious that the subjects that you've undertaken don't give them a warm fuzzy feeling.

13. Your proberbly right, I blame the booze for my above mongness. Still my dodgy a levels got me my degree and postgrad.

Just one point. I didnt say A levels were higher then a degree, I was told that by the guy who phoned me from the AFCO who had been told that by those on a higher payscale.

14. I know you never said it like that, I was just trying to emphasise a point. Listen, if you're still interested in a Commission there are other routes:

Why not join the TA - stay with me here - and after a couple of months ask to apply for a Commission in the TA. You'll go through the same processes as regular Potential Officers (PO's) which will give you a good heads up, you'll also be doing activities that appeal to the AOSB and proving your worth with recommendations from senior Officers.

OR, join the ranks:

Soldiers with very little GCSE's get through the Commissioning process because someone has identified that, even though they don't have the 'all singing all dancing educational pieces of paper', they've got something about them. They get onto the selection boards to be an Officer because they'd have proven themselves worthy in a working enviroment.

OR

Do another A level/required GCSE's, get yourself onto the Duke of Edinburgh if you're young enough, do some voluntary work etc. You could do all this sort of thing for a year and you'd stand a much better chance.

There's always a way, ask the AFCO what you need to do.

15. Cheers, great post mate. Should be useful for those who are in the same boat as me and dont quite make the entry.