Enlisting as an Officer in the Royal Engineers

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by KattF, Jun 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi :)
    I have just finished my A-Levels and was off to University to study Civil Engineering but am now seriously considering enlisting, as I was due to enlist after Uni anyway, and I thought why wait what with financial issues etc.
    I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to answer a couple of questions I have.
    I appreciate how difficult it is to become an Officer, but I was wondering what are the honest chances of being accepted with only A-Levels? Also is it possible to get a degree whilst serving, i.e a degree in Engineering?
    If I was to fail becoming an Officer, my plan is to enlist as a Solider, but I want to do something where a degree is possible, and focuses more on Civil Engineering rather than Mechanical or Electronical. Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much :D

ps. my preferred job would be an Engineering Troop Officer. Know if they are recruiting for them?
  2. Sorry, my bad. I thought the thread was ******* as an officer in the RE.
  3. Chances of being accepted as an officer in the Infantry without a degree are **** all let alone as a Royal Engineer. I call wah
  4. At the risk of exciting Peter Dows disciple - isnt there a certain someone flying the Armys most expensive piece of kit with only a B in art and a D in geography. Good job he's not navigating it. to the Op, i'd say your best chance is to marry into The Family - you'll be Red 1 in a couple of years if you want it.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

our kid did it and his Alevels were so bad he wouldnt have been let in for a degree, they did let him try for a degree under the sponsorship thing but he massed that up as well.

just make sure you do well in the board I suppose or enlist as a soldier and go for a trade so you can try later on.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mate, get your degree! Have a cracking time at uni, get a good qualification, then get serious in a few more years.

Plenty of time to be earning, getting on with your career. Difficult to go back to uni and get a degree. If you want to then in the RE you can go the chartered engineer route (or not).

You apply to become an officer, then if succesful have to put down Corps of Royal Engineers as a choice of arm at Sandhurst if you want to become a RE Troop Commander.

Get yourself in the application process, get briefing under your belt and then get on the FAM visit down to chatham/minley with the engineers asap- absolutely cracking visit, play with plastic explosive, build bridges, piss about with rafts/search cages all sorts.
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they still do sponsorships dont they? have a look at that and get paid for studying, not a fortune but better than a kick in the teeth and you can do placements in the summer.