Engraved 105mm cart case

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by fatdave42, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need a cart case polishing and engraving. Any ideas where I can get one done. I have the cart case.

Thanks

2. A gunmaker or a maker of bespoke trophies (jewellers usually only work in precious metal). These local trophy shops can only do stock plaques, anything in your artistic bracket requires a freehand engraver. They do cost mind you.

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

google Engravers and get your self a tin of brasso and stop being lazy :)

hope this helps.

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

"Cillit Bang", the most stupidly-named cleaning product in Europe [although possibly appropriate, in this case], does an outstanding job of cleaning and polishing 105 cases with minimal effort and no mess. Literally just spray on and then wipe clean.

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I wouldn't use a gun engraver to do it. They are used to engraving very small patterns on steel. I had one done by a guy at work who is one of the best gun engravers in the World. The shell turned out shit, he couldn't get used to working on the soft metal and doing a big design.

There is a guy who does it on a CNC rotary machine and they turn out great. I'll try and dig out his number.

As for polishing, get some fine grade wet and dry and rub it up. The cases are originally turned and have big lines running around them, the only way to get rid of the lines is with wet and dry and a buffing wheel. Cilit bang and brasso will make it look shiny but it won't get rid of the lines or any other blemishes.

Edited to add:

The shells also have little indentations around the top which should be hammered flat to get a nice finish.

6. blue-sophist

Point taken on the turning marks and the indentations.
    Personally I like them being there - polish all that away and you end up with a brass tube instead of a shell-case!
    Each to his own, of course ;-)

7. Cillit Bang eh? That'll be handy as I have a 155mm cart case that coud do with some TLC.

8. I think the REME at RSA do them.... as will most of the armourers at regiments.

I like the Cillit Bang cleaning solution! If only we had had that at RMAS then there would have been more sleeping, less polishing!

GBTD

9. blue-sophist

Gosh ... a new ARRSE "Domestic Cleaning" Thread! :)

Yes, just spray and rub dry with a clean cloth. Don't spray too much, or it runs and you get an uneven finish with dribbles.

Possibly best applied with a 'wet' cloth first? then finish with a dry?
    i need to test that next time they need it ... or you guys will, and report back :nod:

10. Alot of units no longer have the facility to do the engraving/polishing which is a damn shame because i bet it was a nice little earner. We have had problems in the Tidworth/Amesbury/Salisbury area finding somewhere that can engrave on civvy street because they struggle to fit the case in the machine or whatever you want to call it. I think we got one done on Amesbury high street, will engrave what you want on the case if you take along a memory stick with the image on provided it isnt too complex. (going rate for a cart case round this neck of the woods, a crate of Fosters!)

11. RSA Workshops used to do a roaring trade in cart case engraving. Unfortnately the gentleman that used to do them is no longer with us however, the machinery to carry aout the task will probably still be in place. I have had many things engraved there, just take along a computer image of what you want (capbadge etc), decide the wording and hey presto!! Used to cost about 20 quid...worth giving them a ring I guess.

12. A little plug in the top of a cartridge case, with a velvet cover in the colour of the lid of choice - green, blue or maroon - is a nice touch too.

13. Mine is powder blue in honour of my AOP day on the APC in which I went up last and got a FOO's quick fireplan as opposed to an IN mission. B***ers!

14. Of course, light blue for AOPs is also acceptable! :)