Englishmen to be recruited to man the 5 Scottish Battalions

nark said:
With 5 Battalions of "The Royal Regiment of Scotland" to man, the Scots Div have a major problem with recruitment. With Jocks not wanting to join "The English Army" and the general unsuitability of the Rab C Nesbitt type, young Englishmen are now going to be coerced/blagged into joining the RRS.

Quite how this will work is unknown. For instance young man applies at ACIO Barnsley to join up - " And have you ever considered wearing a kilt Terry?"

"I hear haggis for breakfast makes up a lovely Full Fry", " Do you like pipe music?" etc.

You heard it on ARRSE first folks!
Feck me the English have their own army?they never told me Taff or Paddy that when we joined :D

nark said:
With 5 Battalions of "The Royal Regiment of Scotland" to man, the Scots Div have a major problem with recruitment. With Jocks not wanting to join "The English Army" and the general unsuitability of the Rab C Nesbitt type, young Englishmen are now going to be coerced/blagged into joining the RRS.

Quite how this will work is unknown. For instance young man applies at ACIO Barnsley to join up - " And have you ever considered wearing a kilt Terry?"

"I hear haggis for breakfast makes up a lovely Full Fry", " Do you like pipe music?" etc.

You heard it on ARRSE first folks!
Shouldn't this have been done on the 1st April?

Quote.
young Englishmen are now going to be coerced/blagged into joining the RRS.

Thats the Officer ranks filled still a waste of young Englishmen though.

What jocks do not want to join the "English army", more to the point, when was this new army formed?

Considering when I attended ADSC a few weeks ago I was one of three "jocks" within the 60 on the intake. To my astonishment half of them wanted to join the RRS. More precisely the 4 Scots seeing as their barracks is in Germany I reckon they seem to take to the idea of being posted abroad. Very coninsidental that they precisely all wanted to join 4 Scots. Surely not just to be posted abroad? No surely not.

* edited for spelling

Aye, half of SCOTS DG are either Fijian, South african Welsh or English! Not many Jocks any more! English lads are getting sent to us, so its not even confined to Infantry! However, I dont beleive its due to a perception of the "English army" that jocks dont join up.

tommyhutch said:
Funny how they actively recruit Fijians before they consider taking the english.

In my last training platoon at ITC all the recruits going to the Scots Guards were english, so its not just the RRS.
Yep, as i said earlier half the guys at ADSC were joining RRS and the majority that was left wanted Scots Guards. Then again the 3 Scottish lads there wanted Para's. :-/

S

swampmonster

What wrong with "Mash" men in our Bn's?.....We have loads in our (TA) Bn's...nowt wrong with them..... :)
One of my Sgt's is off with BW 3 SCOTS and he is from Plymouth (Crackin lad and good SNCO)...
Fu.cking glad to have him.. :D
dont care where good "Jocks" are from as long as we still get them...

SM

tattybadger said:
Thought most of the English bns were undermanned?
Not too sure but apparently the 4 Scots is the most undermanned in RRS. According to my m8 that said they had a battalion photograph not long ago.

The_Duke

LE
tattybadger said:
Most are to some degree or other, but the recruiting pipeline is still open.

The last brief I attended suggested that the flow from the recruiting pipeline from north of the border had slowed to a trickle, and so the undermanning problem would become even worse if action was not taken.

Perhaps this is that action?

chimera

LE
tattybadger said:
Nope. R Anglian, RIFLES battalions already looking good for starters. PWRR should be fully manned this year.

nark said:
Correct me if Im wrong but isn't that a jab at the recruiters generaly blagging English lads to join a Scottish Regiment due to undermanned speculation. As far as Im concerned every english lad I talked to when attending ADSC was joining because they genuinly wanted to not on the promises of there recruiters.

Maybe if the money for Junior ranks was the same as a new Police Officer, the shortage of new recruits may be turned around.

There is no way I would join the British army for the starting pay that's on offer and the risks involved in doing so.

Or get rid of regional regiments and go to a Infantry corps like here in Australia.

During both world wars 'Scottish' badged units were raised and manned from within the English counties, and not just units such as the Liverpool Scottish and London Scottish regts.
I have to admit though that the formation of a single RRS was a big mistake though IMHO.

Just out of interest, are the Scots Guards having recruiting difficulties as well? Is it recruitment in general in Scotland thats the problem, just infantry recruiting or just specifically the RRS?

Scotland has 6 affiliated infantry regiments 5 RSS, and 1 Scots Guards with a population of 5,062,011

England has 21 affiliated infantry regiments 2 Guards, 2 PWRR, 2 Anglian, 2 Fusilier, 3 Yorks, 3 Mercian, 5 Rifles, 2 Lancs with a population of 60,943,912

this means Scottish regiments form 22% of the line regiments but have only 8.3 % of the combined population.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Populations gotten from the BBC.