English uber alles?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "We would like to keep you", What are we - ******* dogs?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm gonna end up in the Home Guard when it all kicks off again!
    Sausage munching gits.....
    That rifle may be re-issued.

3. We got any left?

4. Helmets on.......

5. Well, most Germans speak it better than the natives so why not? We just need to get the Brits up to the same standard so that we can communicate.

• Like Like x 9
  6. But we could be shrews, small, rather insignificant in the scheme of things, but bloody aggressive if provoked. They learnt that a couple of times in the past. Perhaps they haven't really forgotten.

Of course English should be the language of the world (except perhaps in Bradford!).

English took a long time to evolve, it has over that time absorbed the words and syntax of virtually every civilisation (and uncivilisation) of the world. It deserves to be top dog - it has tried very hard.

7. Funny I thought that as well when a few months ago I found myself in the land of kaleidoscopic sausage.

8. English is the language of the brain and culture/intellect.

If spoken loud enough and clear enough it penetrates the walls of foreign ignorance and reveals upon the listener the beauty of the world and spoken word.

• Like Like x 5
  9. I always thought 'Lingua Franca' literally translated as 'French language'. So by extrapolation, despite the best efforts of the Academie Francaise, according to a prominent German, English is the new French language.

Bloody EU!

10. As has been pointed out before on here, the Germans would like to 'keep us' because we assist them in paying for the rest of the useless sponging wasters. Who then have the temerity to inflict their half-baked, imbecilic ideas on us. We, despite being home to the mother of parliaments, a legal system copied the world over, an inate (although fading) sense of fair play and a proud history of both civility and kicking the whatnot out of people, are forced to listen to and enact the ludicrous whims of our inferiors.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Most English speakers commonly use around 6000 French words. (Almost everything ending in - ion for example)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

we should be trying for the two stage EU and split euro except we don't really belong in either camp. we don't grow anything, get no sunshine and our manufacturing base is pretty dire.

13. I'm sure that what you say has some basis in linguistics, however I seriously doubt that most English speakers commonly use 6000 words of any kind.

14. Sixty words perhaps, with "I want" and "y'no" among the most common.