English to Latin translation

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by TaffJ, Nov 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't find a Latin forum so will stick this here.

I am designing a T shirt for work and part of the design has the quote " Never mistake incompetence for malice" this will be in Latin to avoid any vindictive bosses whose incompetence might be highlighted.

Are there any ARRSERs out there that are fluid in Latin who could give me the Latin version of the quote?

I have tried a few of the online translation sites but when I translate the Latin version that they provide back into English as a double check, it usually comes out as goggledegook.
  2. Nunquam erratum is my best shot at never mistake. How it would run after that??

"numquam mala stultitia confundens" may work "Never confuse stupidity with evil," but I'm sure there are other victims of the Public school system out there who paid more attention, I was always too busy getting hit.
  3. Numquam error imperitiam malitiæ = Error of inexperience of malice never :)
  4. Chinese power tool handbook Latin!
  5. Give me a couple of bottles of Talisker and an hour or two to consume them, and I'll be fluid in any language you like! :grin:

(add a third bottle and I'll be effluent in Glaswegian).
  6. I can agree with that one !
  7. Surely you don't have to be accurate? Many people use spoof latin and get away with it ok. Such as "Nil Illigitmate Carborundum", where Carborundum was never a latin word it's accually a trade name for a silicon carbide project. But most people wouldn't care anyway.
  8. Thats why I like the latin on my signature ;) pure class
  9. Sorry, can't help; my Comp never did classics.
  10. proin mauris regularium um, stabs sal terrau,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  11. Thanks guys, I will go with cernunnosssss second stab and hope there are no Latin scholars in the workplace...very, very doubtful.

I did one year of Latin when I was a nipper but the only word I can recall is 'mensa' which is table I think. I spent too much time on the rugby pitch getting the rest of the vocabulary knocked out of me.
    • Like Like x 1