English Officers in R Irish

Right so a mate of mine wants to join R Irish as a rupert but he's not got a drop of irish blood in him that he knows of! He asked me if this was an issue and wheather or not there are many British Officers/soldiers in the regiment, but to be honest i dont have a f*ckin clue! The reason he's thinking abot it is his grandad was an Inniskilling fusilier so R Irish seems the obvious choice!

Can anyone shed some light on this? Cheers, Tpr G

TrooperG said:
Right so a mate of mine wants to join R Irish as a rupert but he's not got a drop of irish blood in him that he knows of! He asked me if this was an issue and wheather or not there are many British Officers/soldiers in the regiment, but to be honest i dont have a f*ckin clue! The reason he's thinking abot it is his grandad was an Inniskilling fusilier so R Irish seems the obvious choice!

My bold. They're all British soldiers, aren't they?

I'm not stupid enough to think that they are all 'British' by nationality, I was making the point that as members of the Royal Irish Regiment they are all technically 'British soldiers'.

TrooperG said:

but he's not got a drop of irish blood in him that he knows of!

There will be opportunities to exchange bodily fluids when he is a full member of the regiment. :wink:

TrooperG said:

Im scottish and i was an officer in the R IRISH,

Lots of English officers in 1 R IRISH (even one or 2 Irish ones). As with all Inf Regts they take a pretty wide and eclectic mix. All the best to him.

It does not matter if he is British. There are loads of non-UK passport holders in the Army (and I don't mean the Fijians etc) If he wants to join the R IRISH because of family connections then give him your support/encouragement.

Have done, took him to the local ACIO this morning to get the ball rolling. He's hell bent on getting in to his grandads reg so hats off to him.

Good to hear. There's a few officers from the 'mainland UK' that are with 1 R IRISH. There's also a load of scousers in the ranks (due to one of the 1 R IRISH recruiting offices being in Liverpool) along with Commonwealth (Fijian etc) soldiers.

His reasons for wanting to join the R IRISH is quite a common occurrence, and I'm sure he'll be welcomed if he makes the grade.

He's got that fact that there is a family connection to the R IRISH as his Granda served in the Inniskillings - one of the R IRISH antecedent regiments. So that's a plus!

On a down side though, if he's English he might fail the 'Irishness' test of drinking Bushmills, eating 'tatie and soda bread' and being able to sing and tell stories. Oh nearly forgot - he needs to know how 'til fight' - not who but how 'cause it dosen't matter who!

If he can do all that then he might get past the guard room!!

TZA

just for the ignoramouses out there the people of NI are not British - the province is part of the UK - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They are Irish, end of.

CunningLinguist said:
just for the ignoramouses out there the people of NI are not British - the province is part of the UK - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They are Irish, end of.
Course we are big fella. And that's why we all get along so well.... :wink:

Good luck to your mate by the way. Damn good choice. Pity there's only one battalion to chose from these days. :p