English not good enough?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by putteesinmyhands, Apr 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While at work today, I overheard a conversation between two eastern european workers. I've no idea what nationality they were, but they spoke in English, so I presume that they didn't come from the same country.

Their standard of spoken English wasn't bad at all. No hesitations, not a great deal of residual accent, just a little slower than a native English speaker. In all, probably better than the standard that seems to be leaving many of the schools these days. (I blame Teletubbies for this).

But during their conversation, one said to the other, "I'm thinking of learning to speak Polish. It's easier to get a job if you speak Polish."

8O 8O 8O

Is this a sign of the times? Has the era of the monoglot Englishman come to an end?
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Ydyn. Siarad yr iaith Gymraeg. It confuses the shoite out of the English no end.... :D :D
  3. Just sounds to me like you are choking on a chicken bone. :)
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Not "choking the chicken?"
  5. Isn't this just another indication of how our once great country is going down the pan at an ever increasing speed thanks to the crap government we have today and their attitude towards immigration.

Combine that attitude with the welfare state no longer being viewed by some as a safety net but more as a way of life and we end up in the sorry state we find ourselves today.

I have visited places through work on more than one occasion and have been the only British person on the site, (all notices in Polish and then with English added as an after thought).

I think that the goverment borrowing ideas of making non EU personnel wishing to work here having to score high enough on a points system is a start. But it is mainly Eastern European migrant workers that are here in large numbers and there is no system for them to have to score any points before we allow them entry and offer employment. A possible solution is to cap the number of migrants coming into the country, irrespective of their skills or home nation. Set a quota and then once that is reached then we pull up the drawbridge for the rest of the year and say "sorry, see you in 12 months".
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

That's our new national motto up here ;)
  7. No matter what the cost, eh?
  8. I think the main issue is that, judging from the conversation at least, it's the Polish-run agencies that are being successful in supplying tradesmen and labourers to the sites. Could this be why there appears to be so few British blokes around?

Being a long-standing employee, I don't know what the labour market is like these days, but it's scary to think that people could, potentially, be faced with completing a Polish-language application form for an agency. (Otherwise, why would the ability to speak Polish be an advantage when applying for a job in Britain?).
  9. and what is the cost of the current system? Try doing a cost/Benefit analysis or SWOT of the current system and see what you can come up with. Then get someone else to do the same without the your labour loving slant.
  10. Bloody immigrants, coming over here, doing our jobs (including the ones British people don't want) and doing them better, cheaper and faster. Britain is, after all, nearly full up to its cubic capacity: Britain is full, pull up the drawbridge. (After all, it's not like there are more British ex-pats than there are immigrants...)
  11. And there I was just reading about dominic somebody, Urdu speaking mafioso of Manchester...there are plenty of Brits working around the planet and probably having the natives moaning about "bloody foreigners. I know, because I spent the last 3 years working France and Netherlands/Belgium. Perhaps if you stop whingeing and move, you'll find one of the thousands of vacancies in, say, Poland?
  12. Rather simplistic, but the way I look at it is - if we cannot get people to do certain jobs and are not allowed to recruit immigrants then the economy suffers. I refer You to the recent programme in the 'All White' series - the Beeb offered guarenteed work to British unemployed at £7? an hour. They got no takers because it was agricultural work.

Now, let us take the suggestion of Travis, that immigration should be capped, and link it to the points system. The result would be that root and fruit crops would rot in the fields (as was highlighted by the Beeb last year) and those crops that did manage to get picked would be sold at a much higher price.

At the same time schools would lose money hand over fist. They will still have to provide linguists to work with the children of immigrants who came in but without having the funding that would have come from the children of families who had been refused entry.

So, the net result of a capped points system.

*Higher food prices.
    *Higher prices for Granny Farms.
    *Higher transport costs in many towns and cities.
    *Even Higher Council Taxes (the council pays for the granny farming for many of us - whether looking after the elderly in the community or in homes).
    *Shortages of staples.
    *Probable loss of public transport.
    *Loss of funding to individual schools.
  13. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

And what do you propose to do about the immigrants who are not able/willing to work? Keep feeding them benefits? Your idols are doing so.
  14. I dabble in Quality Control and, rest assured, they don't do the jobs better.

I'll give them their due and acknowledge that they work like ni.. immigrants, but a lot of work has to be (or should be) redone. The two I cited spoke good English, but many don't speak a word and struggle over the subtle difference between "Do that.." and "Don't do that.."
  15. Are you, perhaps, 40 years behind the times? Probable loss of public transport? I've not seen many of the modern immigrants (i.e. eastern europeans) driving buses or trains. These are jobs that you don't just walk in to. For buses, you need a licence and Igor's Ukrainian tractor licence just won't cut the mustard. They've come to earn money, and earn money immediately, not to while away on a training course.

The immigrants that you're referring to are mostly 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants (i.e. British citizens).

With regard to agriculture and the "shortages of staples" have you forgotten that Britain relies on imports of food because we don't have enough agricultural land in proportion to the population? Or that most of the agricultural process is mechanised so, with the exception of fruit picking, farming doesn't need hordes of imported agricultural workers. If you've got some idea that there's a mass influx of eastern europeans in August and a mass exodus in September, think again. If anything, it's the other way round as they go back to their farms to help with the harvest.