English Football - last manager to win something for their own city/region

I was wondering - who was the last manager to manage a team to victory in a cup or league (let’s restrict it to Premier League or Championship (or 1st/2nd division if it was that long ago)), while also coming from that city/region. Also including European competitions.

Like a Scouser at Liverpool or Everton, a manc at one of the Greater Manchester clubs, a Yorkie at Leeds, a Geordie at Newcastle, a cockney in London, a southern poofter at Southampton or Brighton.

The great managers such as SAF, Paisley, Shankly, Robson, Dalglish etc didn’t manage (or win with) their “home”teams.

Best I can come up with is Terry Venables with Spurs winning the FA Cup 30 years ago. Even then, he was from fackin’ Essex, not Laahndon proper.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was wondering - who was the last manager to manage a team to victory in a cup or league (let’s restrict it to Premier League or Championship (or 1st/2nd division if it was that long ago)), while also coming from that city/region. Also including European competitions.

Like a Scouser at Liverpool or Everton, a manc at one of the Greater Manchester clubs, a Yorkie at Leeds, a Geordie at Newcastle, a cockney in London, a southern poofter at Southampton or Brighton.

The great managers such as SAF, Paisley, Shankly, Robson, Dalglish etc didn’t manage (or win with) their “home”teams.

Best I can come up with is Terry Venables with Spurs winning the FA Cup 30 years ago. Even then, he was from fackin’ Essex, not Laahndon proper.
I think some Googling is required. I have a name and a club but I’m not going to say anything until I’ve carried out some enquiries.
Close a bit like Terry at Spurs,
Joe Mercer won the league at City and other trophies, born in Ellesmere Port Cheshire.
More googling.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Another close one, Howard Wilkinson born in Sheffield won the league with Leeds.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Joe Royle won the FA Cup with Everton, and Roy Evans won the League Cup with Liverpool, but that's admittedly some pretty thin gruel.
FA Cup was* (and sill is in my book and every true football fan a big trophy)

*Bloody money men trying to spoil history treating the draws like a comedy show and spoiling the game.

I think the last league champion to do it must have been Joe Fagan at Liverpool. I agree about the FA Cup, I was just surprised how long ago a local lad had managed to win it.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

no f in beer

War Hero
Book Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bob Stokoe was born in Mickley, near the border between Northumberland and Durham, 34 miles from Sunderland, for whom he won the FA Cup.

He may have played for Newcastle, but he saw the light.

League Championship, Arthur Rowe won the league with Spurs in 1951 and was actually from Tottenham.

Bob Stokoe was born in Mickley, near the border between Northumberland and Durham, 34 miles from Sunderland, for whom he won the FA Cup.

Stadium of light?

Another local Evans - Maurice Evans was from Didcot and managed Oxford United when they won the League Cup in the 80s.

If on'e being particularly fussy, he was born prior to the reorganisation of counties which saw Didcot move from Berkshire to Oxfordshire, but as far as I can tell, the Oxford fans who remember him regarded him as being as good as from Oxford itself.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer

Cataracts.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Joe Harvey was not a native Geordie but he was certainly adopted. He played for the club post-war and was long associated with them.
Fairs Cup 1969.

I think it is sad in a way that so many local loyalties and ties have been lost in this constantly moving modern football.

Remember chatting to my (Catalan) barber over two decades ago when talking about national characteristics in football. I reckoned that there would always be the character of the country and to degree the area reflected in the team. He told me that soon we would be watching two teams of eleven men from all over.
While there are differences in the national leagues, though less than before, and the fans retain their characters, he was largely correct.

Latest Threads