English devolution (alright Ive gone mad)

Off sick at the mo and watching a lot of TV. Its really getting my goat to see the English being called Anglo/Saxons. Its not true, I'm a Dane/jute/Itatilan/Indian and my wife if a Dane/Jute/Angle/Jew, our families have lived here for centuries and most around are similar.

Why has England took on a Southern history? Something seems wrong, in our area we are from the same hero appears - Robin Hood (we come from areas 70 miles apart). It seems in my drunken state history has been changed to protect the UK

Me Im pure bred British mong(eral). Scots,English,Welsh and Paddy so fcuk knows how much anglo saxon there is in there but theres plenty of celt. As for Devolution if I lok at Scots history, Scotland didn't really start producing the goods in terms of invention, engineering and the arts until after they stopped fighting the english. (erm and each other)

Erm, pour yourself another large beer

I'm a Yorkshire, Scots, Japanese, Jew-a mongrel for sure, pure mutt. :roll:

Hail Caesar! I also am descendant Roman.

BiscuitsAB said:
Me Im pure bred British mong(eral). Scots,English,Welsh and Paddy so fcuk knows how much anglo saxon there is in there but theres plenty of celt. As for Devolution if I lok at Scots history, Scotland didn't really start producing the goods in terms of invention, engineering and the arts until after they stopped fighting the english. (erm and each other)
Yep - me too. Are we related :?:

polar said:
...Why has England took on a Southern history? Something seems wrong, ...
Because history is written by the winners...

...Northern loser :wink:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It has been put to me that the only true-bred English in this country live in isolated villages in the wilds of Cornwall and Norfolk. Doesn't appeal.

Me? Obviously a bastard (in the true meaning of the word which the expletive checker will doubtless change to fatherless: haha go back in, edit it and the checker is stuffed!) Viking, result of one of their forays in the, well the age when the Vikings raped, burned and pillaged Northumbria. I have taken my family tree back to the 18th Century and find nothing but true-bred County Durham apart from 1/32 Irish (so you may call me a bog trotter) and (sadly) 1/32 Norfolk.

Personally I'd love to see England devolve from the UK and watch as the Sweaties live up to their name because suddenly there's only 5 million of them and no taxes coming in from the English to pay for their free prescriptions and their dole.

polar said:
Off sick at the mo and watching a lot of TV. Its really getting my goat to see the English being called Anglo/Saxons. Its not true, I'm a Dane/jute/Itatilan/Indian and my wife if a Dane/Jute/Angle/Jew, our families have lived here for centuries and most around are similar.

Why has England took on a Southern history? Something seems wrong, in our area we are from the same hero appears - Robin Hood (we come from areas 70 miles apart). It seems in my drunken state history has been changed to protect the UK
My mum's maiden name is an Anglo/Saxon one from Northumbria (The Northern Saxon kingdom, and she is such a Scots Nat, I admit I sometimes wind her up about it. Scots have the same rubbish with all the highland stuff, my ancestors are mostly borderers and lowlanders - kilts are a Victorian affectation for us.

adouglasmhor said:
My mum's maiden name is an Anglo/Saxon one from Northumbria (The Northern Saxon kingdom, and she is such a Scots Nat, I admit I sometimes wind her up about it. Scots have the same rubbish with all the highland stuff, my ancestors are mostly borderers and lowlanders - kilts are a Victorian affectation for us.
Well Lowlands spoke Inglisch before the English and Edinburgh means Edwins Fortification, Edwin being a Northumbrian King (who got kicked out of Yorkshire by us Vikings).

In a way our history taught to us seems a lie, Cumbria/Cornwall is Celtic, lowlands Anglo-Saxon, Yorkshire/East Midlands Danish and Lancashire Irish Vikings.

I suggest Jorvick (Yorkshire) Anslush with the 5 boroughs (East Midlands) (maybe Anglia and Lancashire) and break away from England. Plus obvious removal of the Sherwood Foresters from the Mercian Regiment into the renamed R Anglians as the Foresters Regiment

p.s. Or maybe the South Danelaw Regiment

polar said:

I suggest Jorvick (Yorkshire) Anslush with the 5 boroughs (East Midlands) (maybe Anglia and Lancashire) and break away from England. Plus obvious removal of the Sherwood Foresters from the Mercian Regiment into the renamed R Anglians as the Foresters Regiment

p.s. Or maybe the South Danelaw Regiment
Now you're pushing your luck :evil:

Although why I'm such a keen Anglian is a bit hard to fathom. I did my family tree last year, and as far as I can see, I'm the first one on both sides of my family who wasn't born within walking distance of Blackburn, since around 1695. Which makes me a. very English, b. probably as inbred as the the population of this area. Ah, the penny's dropped....

angular said:
I did my family tree last year, and as far as I can see, I'm the first one on both sides of my family who wasn't born within walking distance of Blackburn, since around 1695. Which makes me a. very English, b. probably as inbred as the the population of this area. Ah, the penny's dropped....
Blimey makes my tree look quite exotic - one from Hull, one born in Indian and another aboard a ship (returning from Italy)

Although I did find it strange to find the surnames on a small village census nearly matched my sqns nominal role 100%

Perhaps have a read of ’Blood of the Isles’ by Bryan Sykes. He’s long taken the DNA route to prove, according to him, how races and even tribes migrated. Predictably Norse descendants predominate in the parts where we know they raided and settled, e.g. around York/Ebor. Anglo-Saxon however, well less than a quarter, and Roman (despite nearly 400 years), not very much at all?

If the Roman estimate is right, perhaps while we were Empire for 400 years, maybe; #1. forces were often rotated (tours), #2. there was a higher percentage of non Roman nationals in their forces (over here) than presumed, #3. they preferred their own imported slappers, #4. they were all rear gunners, or #5 when they left they took their totty with them?

BTW, Bryan Sykes caused a few larffs when he claimed some Septic penpusher was the descendant of Ghengis Kahn? Personally I believed the claim of a baker – Attila the Bun. :omg:

No.9