English Brandy

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by hedgehog64, Oct 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

'fraid not, though it is nice to see the English Vintners spreading their wings and deciding to try their hand in the brandy stakes, especially when considering English Whites and Sparklings and increasingly enjoying a critical renaissance.

Annoyingly though I cannot see whether they are using pot or column stills or whether this is a pure fruit brandy or a pomace, I feel a phonecall coming on in the morning.

Seyvec Blanc and Rheichensteiner are curious choices for choice of grape as I have not heard of them being used before in brandy manufacture, considering Seyvec is forbidden for being used for Quality Wine making under EU law due to it being a hybrid with non-vinifera types though it does make a lot of sense financially as it is the most common white grape varietal grown in the UK, with Rheichensteiner a close second despite having a reputation for producing somewhat dull wines.

2. What ever happened to good old,plain old Asbach,the squaddies nectar,no time for this new fangled stuff.

3. Aaahhhh,amber nectar.Asbach shandies.

Got two bottles in the garage,by special request on birthdays.Mmmmm,Asbach.

4. Any word as to the type of still Rampant?

5. Somerset Cider Brandy -

If you want to try English brandy (well calvados if you want to be picky) this stuff is the mutts nuts. (the 10 year old is beautifully smooth and complex)

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall uses it a lot in his River Cottage cooking shows.

It is a nice place to visit (if you can find it!)

Ooops! Just followed the link to see it is distilled at the same place! :oops:

6. Is English Brandy like British Sherry?