English as she is speaked.....by the military!

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Goatman, Aug 27, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm, Online dictionaries aren't too good....

this sentence would be fairly comprehensible to most Brit other ranks who'd been in a couple of years:

" so I'm in the sangar,yeah, an' I said to my oppo, keep an eye on my gat, I need to use the khazi "

Step forward http://www.askoxford.com
    - but they still don't know what a sanger is! Take a shufti....

<< C'est Bat d'Af pour toi, bleu! >>

Le Chevre

2. The scene: PoxyPowerPoint briefing of the General (renowned for his incisive wit, opinion and likelihood of replacing the current Big Big Chief) at RSAF HQ, Riyadh, re 'force protection'.
    Me: "..and I intend to place sangars here, here and here around the perimeter, where the arcs of fire of the sentries can..."
    General: "What are these 'sangars' of which you speak, Whiskybreath?"
    Me: "These are small, fortified posts, General, where a single man or a pair can watch for, and if necessary act against intruders, as well as warn the occupants of the installation".
    General: Why are they not called 'Watch Towers'?
    Me (sniggering, but thinking it is a casual and impressive laugh): Why, General, it is a word which you Arabs taught us; the Sangar has been a feature of British Army life for many years - indeed many a Tom has lost his cherry in one. Why, I remember the one at the bottom of Great James Street in which..."
    General: "Just call them Watch Towers, Whiskybreath".