England v France 13/10/07

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Briefly, for the benefit of the instant expert "boring game no tries" fraternity out there, consider this:

To play the way England plays requires consistency and accuracy of kicking together with the precise application of controlled power in the scrum, discipline and drive in the loose and a high success rate in the line-out. It also requires the consistent pressurising of the opposition when they attempt the same thing and, because our backs lack the strength of our opponents, we also have to minimize opportunities for the opposing 3 Q's.

To those who know what they're looking at, the great JW drop goal of 2003 and the build-up to it was one of the most technically accomplished pieces of team skill in recent sporting history and as good as any try you'll ever see.

This standard has to be maintained across eighty minutes - the slightest error and the team is immediately under pressure as you saw last night when England's kicking game went missing for a while and Joe Worsley was forced to tap tackle heroically to stop the ensuing French charge.

Flowing back moves are rugby's equivalent of fast food and the icing on the cake but error-free and aggressive forward play over multiple phases should be savoured and is harder to achieve. These skills are core to a successful rugby team which is why the four teams in the semis have the most accomplished scrums in the world cup and the fifteen man utility teams with eight back row as a pack are now at home.

If England is to have a chance against the likely opponents SA next week, they will have to achieve as nearly as possible, 80 minutes of error- free rugby with 100% physical and mental commitment - the game may turn on a single error, that is true tension and excitement and I shall be watching from behind the sofa.

Latissimus_Dorsi said:
Immense and emotional!

It is all about winning, England's defence was awesome, Joe Worsley's try saving ankle tap on Vincent Clerc said it all. The collective effort of all our boys was awe inspiring. France never really looked like scoring a try, they were beaten psychologically after only 82 sec when Josh Lewsey crash over.

Who will remember the choking All Blacks, who ran in umpteen tries with free running rugby in the group stages?

Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing!

England, the Queen and St George!
That ankle tap and Johnny's drop goal were sublime moments in a pretty dour game. But who cares? An excellent, gutsy performance in the heart of Paris, against the hosts. I think we are peaking at just the right time and it would be poetry if we were to get another shot at the Saffers - bring on the final!

PS: Thanks to our Celtic cousins for the unexpected support!

Cuddles said:
chocolate_frog said:
fingers_1661 said:
For the benefit of those us outside UK; Did TV news once again show the spectacle of 1001 jocks crammed into a bar in Edinburg wearing France shirts?

Their anyone but the English really p*sses me off (& it isn't just the jocks!)
Jocks and all the rest can Fcuk right off. We won, where are their teams again? Oh, that's right out.

Stood next to some tit in the NAAFI bar gobbing off about Scotland being different and everyone hating the English, god I wanted to pummel him in the dirt. But I was ROS so had to think better of it.

Why is it you can stereotype these fools? Thick scots acents to go with their thick heads, little grasp of history, as they actually beleive it was English V Scots at Cullodin. And they always seem to have a borderline drink problem/discipline dramas.

And lets call a spade a spade, 9/10 they are actually a Buckfast sipping weegee.
If I heard you saying that seriously I would AGAI your ass! If you generalise enough about Scotland, eventually a mild mannered man in a sports jacket, sipping a gin and tonic and wearing an English regiment tie will politely clear his throat and ask you to "Feck off, as I am trying to support England into the RWC final, and you are not making it any easier for me."
This all reminds me of a discussion I had with a very good friend of mine, a Scots Cpl to be known as "Dougie", who was one of several Jocks in our Northern English INF Bn.

"You know Davey" says Dougie, "You're a great mate an everything, but you're still an ENGLISH Bastard!".

This cut me to the core. My blood ran icy in my veins.

I'm Welsh...... :(

dunstaggin said:
Boring crap !

I watched the Superleague Grand Final at Old Trafford. 8)
SO boring in fact that you felt you had to comment on it on here!! Two words for you BORE OFF!!

Prox is right! Why and how don't come into it WE WON!!!!!

God has smiled on his chosen people......

Bring me my bow of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
Bring me my chariot of fire

:-D

Awesome match, loved every second, although buttocks were firmly clenched for the last 30mins of the game!

slipperman said:
Latissimus_Dorsi said:
Immense and emotional!

It is all about winning, England's defence was awesome, Joe Worsley's try saving ankle tap on Vincent Clerc said it all. The collective effort of all our boys was awe inspiring. France never really looked like scoring a try, they were beaten psychologically after only 82 sec when Josh Lewsey crash over.

Who will remember the choking All Blacks, who ran in umpteen tries with free running rugby in the group stages?

That ankle tap and Johnny's drop goal were sublime moments in a pretty dour game. But who cares? An excellent, gutsy performance in the heart of Paris, against the hosts. I think we are peaking at just the right time and it would be poetry if we were to get another shot at the Saffers - bring on the final!

It's not a problem mate, glad we were of some help :wink:

I went into this game the same way I went into 50 per cent of the games last weekend(had an obvious Scotland slant and seeing as I was in Paris couldn't do anything but support the Frogs) in just hoping that the best team would win on the day.

As happened last weekend I think that they did last night, France made a similar mistake to Scotland last week, they decided to attack when it was too late, had they really cut loose just after HT then I think they would have blown England out the match. As it was England played to a very good game plan but they will need to pick it up by about another 25 per cent against the Argentinians and 50 per cent if they play the Boks.

saintstone said:
medman82 said:
I've got a fiver on England at the bookies, odds were shoite but I'm a patriot
Should have got in before the World Cup started, placed £30 in March at 100/1, looking good so far. If England pick up the cup, £3000, if they don't, down £30, good odds either way.

Go on England, stuff the French barstewards.
Bloody hell, you must be pleased!!!!!

3k is one hell of a return from 30 quids investment.

I didn't think it would be possible for next week to be any more tense, but I guess it wil be for you!

Whats the difference between the All Blacks and a tea bag?
Tea bag stays in the cup longer.

Whats the difference between the Australian XV and a 747?
747 stops whining when it lands.

Courtesy Sunday Telelgraph.

Ps...did anyone see Mike Catt smash Betsen? Read about it, but can't remember seeing it.

Peter

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Commander_Vimes said:
slipperman said:
Latissimus_Dorsi said:
Immense and emotional!

It's not a problem mate, glad we were of some help :wink:

I went into this game the same way I went into 50 per cent of the games last weekend(had an obvious Scotland slant and seeing as I was in Paris couldn't do anything but support the Frogs) in just hoping that the best team would win on the day.

As happened last weekend I think that they did last night, France made a similar mistake to Scotland last week, they decided to attack when it was too late, had they really cut loose just after HT then I think they would have blown England out the match. As it was England played to a very good game plan but they will need to pick it up by about another 25 per cent against the Argentinians and 50 per cent if they play the Boks.
CV - not sure how much the decison to attack was in the hands of the Scots and French and how much of it was due to a dearth of real opportunities because of the way the other side was playing.

I agree about the Argies or, more likely the Boks though. Sadly I don't think England's forward game is far enough ahead to counter SA's clear advantage in the backs - the Boks will only need a couple of chances and Habana can finish from anywhere.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Im sitting here in the post winning match glow of a calm Sunday morning looking forward to a roast dinner. All i can think of......Is there any finer sight than grown Frenchmen weeping openly on the streets of Paris after a home defeat by ENGLAND! The only answer i can come up with has to be NO.
How it was done matters not a jot, I just felt proud and privileged to see it. After all its normally a German pursuit.

Well done the lads. COME ON!!!!!!

It's entirely appropriate that the commemoration
of the 40th anniversary of the execution of Che
Guevara has come during a Rugby World Cup with
Argentina contesting a semi-final. For while
it's widely known that he was something of an
important revolutionary, it's less well known
that he was also a rugby fanatic. Che played
for the SIC club in Buenos Aires, while training
to be a doctor, and in his spare time founded
a rugby magazine called Tackle, which he wrote
entirely by himself.

Q: Did you hear about the new All Blacks bra?
A: It's got great support but no cups!

Oh and well done England! As a Jock living in Paris my loyalties were torn, but Mr fmp would never have forgiven me if I went for France. :wink:

K80RMG said:
Had to follow it on BBC Sports website as there was no opportunity to watch or listen to it here in Sweden - BBC couldn't broadcast it overseas for "contractual reasons" - whatever they are. Trawled the online papers this morning and found this in The Times. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby/article2652838.ece

Very agreeable!
Probably because it was ITV's coverage

.... and for someone who suggested earlier that a (then) putative final against the Pumas would be a 25-year replay, we're now up against the Boers, so here is the 108-year replay.

Not sure what that suggests for the game on Saturday .... a bad win ?.

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, England get to the Final AGAIN!

Well done though, especially the pack versus Australia.

A sad and sorry Welshman !

Was there, was great, blood/heart and guts won us that game.

Admittedly I'm a tad out of touch when it comes to the utter mediocrity of England's wingers, but what I do know is I haven't been overly impressed with Cueto.

However, who should replace OCdt Lewsey now he's on the Y list?

Cueto has been dire. Voyce of Wasps would have been a far better selection. His play in Europe last season was faultless!