England v France 13/10/07

Proximo said:
Couldn't give a fcuk about the score, or how we played, or how many points we've accrued from kicking - or whatever.

WE BEAT THE FCUKING FRENCH AT THE STADE DE FRANCE

And that is all that matters.
Not Arf Squire!

For the benefit of those us outside UK; Did TV news once again show the spectacle of 1001 jocks crammed into a bar in Edinburg wearing France shirts?

Their anyone but the English really p*sses me off (& it isn't just the jocks!)

diplomat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
England

Thankyou

I’m in conundrum – yes, I know another one. I just don’t know what to wear!

I watched the 2003 final in (UK) mess kit having some how managed to drink through after a mess dinner in the Dukes mess in Germany.

I watched the 2007 quarter final in (naff Aussie) mess kit having entertained some friends at a not half bad mess in Brisbane.

As it’s too short notice to jack up a mess dinner for next weekend I might crank up the barby and gets the boys round (the Mrs is away – the weekend ENGLAND ARE IN THE WORLD CUP BLOODY FINAL; clearly I’m devastated!).

But which one do I wear next week?

Any advice? Anyone want to come?! Bring your own stubbies and shrimps!

fingers_1661 said:
For the benefit of those us outside UK; Did TV news once again show the spectacle of 1001 jocks crammed into a bar in Edinburg wearing France shirts?

Jocks and all the rest can Fcuk right off. We won, where are their teams again? Oh, that's right out.

Stood next to some tit in the NAAFI bar gobbing off about Scotland being different and everyone hating the English, god I wanted to pummel him in the dirt. But I was ROS so had to think better of it.

Why is it you can stereotype these fools? Thick scots acents to go with their thick heads, little grasp of history, as they actually beleive it was English V Scots at Cullodin. And they always seem to have a borderline drink problem/discipline dramas.

And lets call a spade a spade, 9/10 they are actually a Buckfast sipping weegee.

We dined next door last night and I would like to apologise to our hostess here and now (although she's unlikely to read it) on behalf of the rest of us who paid more attention to the match on TV than to the splendid meal she served us. There were more 'trips to the bathroom' than you can shake a stick at.

Go England!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
chocolate_frog said:
fingers_1661 said:

Jocks and all the rest can Fcuk right off. We won, where are their teams again? Oh, that's right out.

Stood next to some tit in the NAAFI bar gobbing off about Scotland being different and everyone hating the English, god I wanted to pummel him in the dirt. But I was ROS so had to think better of it.
Why is it you can stereotype these fools? Thick scots acents to go with their thick heads, little grasp of history, as they actually beleive it was English V Scots at Cullodin. And they always seem to have a borderline drink problem/discipline dramas.

And lets call a spade a spade, 9/10 they are actually a Buckfast sipping weegee.
Fcuk off you tit. If you were ROS then you could have jailed him and thought up a reason for it later, but obviously you bottled it. W@nker.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well done England! That was some game to watch. Try in the opening minutes then the game kept tight as a virgin's tw@t. Well worth the bottle of wine over the bevvy I had watching Scotland win at puffball. Bit of a sore head this morning.

I was, obviously, wrong in my prediction but England powered themselves through and deserve to be one of the finalists, something I would have bet against a month ago.

As I have said previously I will support whichever nothern hemisphere team that gets to the final so, for once :oops: I will be right behind England next weekend. How does the song go again? Swing low sweetcheeks...... :twisted:

Stood out outside having a smoke and thinking of the match last night (still can't quite believe we're through). England's Glory, hard fought but deserving and I heard a sound that brought a lump to the throat: A Rolls Royce Merlin engine at full throttle, I look up to see coming towards me at 150 feet, a Spitfire, a most joyous sight.

Portentous of next weekend I hope :excited:

visitingrock said:
Oooohhhhh Tetchy aren't we.

As I said, I am glad England own, and they won well, however, what ever happened to Rugby, you know, passing the ball, ball in hand, forward dominance followed up by falir from the backs? That is all I am asking.
It was a myth - it has never been England's style in all the years I have been rugby-aware, some 38 or so! There is no getting away from it, rugby is a game of football, which permits handling and carriage of the ball. So the boot is legitimate. There was a time not so long ago that a dropped goal scored you four points, whilst a try merely earned you three...which perhaps indicates the structure and development of the game cannot be materially changed by merely bulking up the points achieved by scoring a try?

Nehustan said:
Cuddles said:
The great thing about the game is the variation between Jason Robinson dancing 60 m forward avoiding the French tacklers, or Matt stevens pummeling his way forward "2 metres and falling over" but by doing so unbalancing the French defence, forcing over-compensation and gaining a penalty. The nice thing is that all shapes and body sizes can play and sometimes, yes, a big 18 stone brute gets to run in open space and demonstrates there is something more than grunt and groan to their game. alternatively some whippet sized fella hits the afore-mentioned bruiser and puts him on his arrse or into the front row of the stand.
Does this exegesis sum up why Rugby is so popular in the British Army? Does it somewhat mirror fighting by the line, column, and square, with the odd skirmish thrown in for good measure (not that I know anything)?
If I hear rugby as a metaphor for life, I may well top myself!

chocolate_frog said:
fingers_1661 said:

If I heard you saying that seriously I would AGAI your ass! If you generalise enough about Scotland, eventually a mild mannered man in a sports jacket, sipping a gin and tonic and wearing an English regiment tie will politely clear his throat and ask you to "Feck off, as I am trying to support England into the RWC final, and you are not making it any easier for me."

johnojohnson said:
Stood out outside having a smoke and thinking of the match last night (still can't quite believe we're through). England's Glory, hard fought but deserving and I heard a sound that brought a lump to the throat: A Rolls Royce Merlin engine at full throttle, I look up to see coming towards me at 150 feet, a Spitfire, a most joyous sight.

Portentous of next weekend I hope :excited:
I don't know what you were drinking buddy but I want a crate of it for the final! :D

Cuddles, I was refering to the actual people who say such things. In MY experience those who do so are that stereotype.

Other Scots don't seem to come out with the same sort of things, similar arguement maybe, but they don't seem to bring up such old events to justify such beliefs.

I could wind the clock back to a similar conversation that involved a Sig and a LE Capt (both Scots) who don't fit that model and who put forward some good points.

As a proud Brit and English man I don't feel the same way about devolution as some, there is a thread elsewhere in which all three of us commented on various points and you didn't feel the need to bring up AGAI in that thread.

Auld_Yin, AGAI wasn't brought in to clamp down on free speach, he was in the company of several others haveing a discussion on whether Scotland should be seperate from England. There were several English lads there and a Welshlad, there was even a South African and a Fijian who were bemused outsiders. When I visited later, the conversation had moved on.

Incidentally, there was a lad in the group who I knew I could trust to keep the peace.

Or I could just jail someone for free speach.

Would you have thought it fair to be jailed for having a differing opinion to the ROS in a NAAFI conversation? I know I wouldn't. Perhaps I'll jail the entire footy team support group of a team I don't like next time, because I don't like them.

Incidently, I didn't join the conversation.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
chocolate_frog said:
Cuddles, I was refering to the actual people who say such things. In MY experience those who do so are that sort of Scotsman.

Other Scots don't seem to come out with the same.

Auld_Yin, AGAI wasn't brought in to clamp down on free speach, other than talking sh1t he was hardly doing anything wrong, at that point in the night he wasn't even drunk. When I visited later, the conversation had moved on.
If he wasn't doing anything wrong why did you make an issue of it? I think the fault lies closer to you than him.

Anyway, when did being ROS have anything to do with justice? Obviously gone are the days of "March in the guilty barstewards Sarn't Major". :roll:

Immense and emotional!

It is all about winning, England's defence was awesome, Joe Worsley's try saving ankle tap on Vincent Clerc said it all. The collective effort of all our boys was awe inspiring. France never really looked like scoring a try, they were beaten psychologically after only 82 sec when Josh Lewsey crash over.

Who will remember the choking All Blacks, who ran in umpteen tries with free running rugby in the group stages?

Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing!

England, the Queen and St George!

He wasn't doing anything wrong, but what he says riles me.

Always has and always will.

It may put me in a minority, but I beleive in the strength of Great Britain and that is made up of the constituent parts. Not in looking to the past in order to stir up trouble to move us in to a situation that is worse.

Nor do I believe in having several governments in one country.

Maybe the problem does lie on my door step. I have oft been told that the Scots are taught at school their history. I do beleive that our fair isles history should be taught in school but in a fair and balanced way.

I often wonder where the hatred of all things English comes from, if it is taught like that to Scottish kids, surely it the same as AQ teaching hatred in mosques. That England did some hateful things in history is undisputed, but I hardly think some of the venom from North of border (and I do differentiate between banter and venon) is justified.