England v France 13/10/07

mad_mac said:
Cuddles said:
Never mind, onlyt another week to go and the part time rugby fans can crawl back to underwater tiddly winks or formula 1 goat racing or whatever their true sporting love may be.
:D :D :D :D :D
Potential? RL is too full of NRL cast-offs to see a successful Eng or even GB team.

Cuddles, you make good sense. I'm tired of all the TV/entertainment/US style dummies who have no idea of the game of rugby. I'm sick of all the "bird" comments I hear over here about no tries, only kicks blah, blah, blah.

That said, I have had a great week sticking it up em!

Looking fwd to cranking the bbq up and drinking heavily at 5am next Sunday morning!!

Hmm, I'd have to have a guess at the score...Oooh...lets see....14-9?

visitingrock said:
Understand where you are coming from from and agree entirely with you comments. Thanks for the concidered comments on my post (unlike some others) My post was mearly an observation on my part. As I have said, well done England and roll on the final. One more opportunaty for me to see my dream game of Rugby Union which I know exists out there, somewhere, however, excuse me if I don't hold my breath on this particualr occasion.

Good luck England and here is hoping you bring the trophy back home to where it belongs ( lets face it, there is no chance of our fottbal team ever doing it and I am still hoping that one day our RL team will live up to its potential :cry: )
Appreciate your sentiments, however, classic all time great games come around once in a blue moon. The England V Australia final in 2003 was far from a classic but was a nailbiter anyway.

We have had some "classic games" in this world cup final (Wales V Fiji springs to mind).

France failed to throw caution to the wind, thus it remained a very tight game until the final whistle.

Only when a team "goes sh*t or bust" does the game open up but it is a huge gamble.

To win is EVERYTHING, to win with style is elusive.

Erasmus - Fortune favours the audacious

Brilliant game...Paul Sackey...a defensice genius! Wilko meant to miss the first two kicks...just to keep us hanging on the edge of our seats! (so I like to think lol)

C'mon the final!

Peter

Ozduke said:
I'm sick of all the "bird" comments I hear over here about no tries, only kicks blah, blah, blah.
Hate to point it out mate but just shy of half of our points in this years World Cup have come from the boot (and not that does not include conversions)

England V Australia QF2007 was far from a classic game.

Oh, but to watch the front five dominance, in particular Sheridans destruction of Dunning, the agressive turn over ball, and the flankers disruption of Gregans and Barnes link play was an absolute pleasure to watch.

More to a game than running in tries.

Edited for beer spelling

visitingrock said:
Ozduke said:
I'm sick of all the "bird" comments I hear over here about no tries, only kicks blah, blah, blah.
Hate to point it out mate but just shy of half of our points in this years World Cup have come from the boot (and not that does not include conversions)
Please don't show your ignorance of the game in such a public forum!

Just enjoy the victory and leave the science to those that understand it.

Ozduke said:
visitingrock said:
Ozduke said:
Please don't show your ignorance of the game in such a public forum!

Just enjoy the victory and leave the science to those that understand it.
Oooohhhhh Tetchy aren't we.

As I said, I am glad England own, and they won well, however, what ever happened to Rugby, you know, passing the ball, ball in hand, forward dominance followed up by falir from the backs? That is all I am asking.

Hell a grity win is as good as a win with flair in my book, however, I haven't seen anything in this World Cup that shows how entertaining Rugby Union could be (and no, sitting on the edge of my seat wondering when we will get a penalty for Johnny to kick is not entertaining sport IMHO)

Awesome, cried at the national anthem. Now drinking champers, proud of our boys. Wore my army shirt with pride all night.

Outstanding! Edge of the seat stuff. Well done lads!

Also - love the commentator's comment about Phil Vickery having a tattoo on his arm which reads "I'll fight you to the death!"

Visitingrock, seriously advise you watch sevens - it sounds like you're after fast paced non stop action, and Union just isn't living up to your expectations.

Mind you, I was on edge for most of the match - bloody good result and well played England - Sackey needs a good kick of the arrse though! :D

Edit: Just like to say I think your making some bone judgements and comments on the way Union is being played - this is how the game works, what else were you expecting? (Please don't say flair)

Editted twice to spell the name right...

Lots of screaming and shouting and clapping and dancing was done throughout the game in this house - fuffed to chuck with the lads! :boogie:

Oh, and well done Jim Rosenthal for rubbing plenty of salt into Thomas Castaign├Ęde's patriotic wounds in the game round-up chat! 8O

Sackey was only 'so-so' tonight. I thought Sheridan would have done a bit better tonight, his sheer power would've come in handy in a few situations.
But they won, and they're through!

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Cuddles said:
The great thing about the game is the variation between Jason Robinson dancing 60 m forward avoiding the French tacklers, or Matt stevens pummeling his way forward "2 metres and falling over" but by doing so unbalancing the French defence, forcing over-compensation and gaining a penalty. The nice thing is that all shapes and body sizes can play and sometimes, yes, a big 18 stone brute gets to run in open space and demonstrates there is something more than grunt and groan to their game. alternatively some whippet sized fella hits the afore-mentioned bruiser and puts him on his arrse or into the front row of the stand.
Does this exegesis sum up why Rugby is so popular in the British Army? Does it somewhat mirror fighting by the line, column, and square, with the odd skirmish thrown in for good measure (not that I know anything)?

Engerland Enderland Engerland....

Endgerland Engerland Engerland....

Etc etc ad nausiem.

excuse my spelling; heavy night.

OK. So what's your prediction for the Final then, Auld Yin? This from another old yin.
How long will it take for Gordon Brown to discover a hitherto unknown enthusiasm for Rugby Union Football as played by Raith Rovers? Reception at No 10 anyone?

Couldn't give a fcuk about the score, or how we played, or how many points we've accrued from kicking - or whatever.

WE BEAT THE FCUKING FRENCH AT THE STADE DE FRANCE

And that is all that matters.