England v France 13/10/07

ExScaleyBleep said:
COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS HAVE SOME ARGY BARGY !!!!!

chuffed to bits.. .come on St George, Harry and ENGLAND !!!!!!
It will be very interesting if we do face Argy in the finals. I am looking forward to watching whoever we play.

Cry god for Jonny, Conversions, and St Robinson!!

Well done England!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats. And no, it's not through gritted teeth. Not the most attractive game of rugby, but it's the points on the board that matter come the final whistle. Now all we need is for the Argies to sneak a win against the boks. If a well known Danish brewery did finals.......

Fcuk talking about the final.

Lets enjoy tonight and concentrate on next week on Monday.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Mazur_UK said:
ExScaleyBleep said:
COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS HAVE SOME ARGY BARGY !!!!!

chuffed to bits.. .come on St George, Harry and ENGLAND !!!!!!
It will be very interesting if we do face Argy in the finals. I am looking forward to watching whoever we play.

Cry god for Jonny, Conversions, and St Robinson!!
I have to say I had a premonition of Robinson running a try, and when he broke I thought 'this is it!!!!' Not bad for a league lad hey, conversion seems to mean more than one thing in Rugby ;)

SUPERB! :clap: :clap:
Never known it so quiet on a Saturday night in this rugby-mad town - hmmm...wonder why?! :? :D

Well Done England. It's not the play that matters it's the result.

Great to shove it up the French!!:):):):)

Awsome, fantastic. Who would have thought we'd be through to the finals?

Not many of you cynical lot!

Frogslegs said:
SUPERB! :clap: :clap:
Never known it so quiet on a Saturday night in this rugby-mad town - hmmm...wonder why?! :? :D
Pretty quiet in North Wales as well, except for me :D :D :D :D

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Now I am no fan of Rugby Union, however, I will support England at anything, RL, RU, Association Football, Commonwealth Games, Chess, Tiddly Winks, Cow pat throwing, Bog Snorkelling etc.

Well done England great to be in the final.

However, what an awful game. I think I counted about 10 periods where the backs, of either side, ran with the ball in hand in the second half. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but that was possibly the worst "game of rugby" I have ever sat through. Granted it had its excitement but it wasn't rugby. I thought that "William Web Elise" revolutionised the game of football by picking up the ball and running with it?! (OK in know that is a myth but run with me). Unfortunately, World Cup Rugby does no favours for Rugby Union. World Cups are all about winning; flair and spectacle doesn't get a look in. It is all about knuckling down for the win; a task that England took on and excelled at. However, watch club RU and you might enjoy the game, but when it is win at all cost, England will look to the forwards to perform. The endless monotony of watching forward after forward pick up the ball, take 2 paces forward and fall over (repeat adnorsium) just kills any chance of enjoying Rugby at it’s best. Eventually, they will play for the penalty and watch Johnny kick it over. Now, this tactic is admiral, however, it doesn't really follow the spirit of "William". And to add insult to injury, Brian Ashton, Phil Vickery and even Jason Robinson acknowledged that this was the plan to get France out of the cup during their post match interviews. And look at who they will play in the final, South Africa of Argentina, 2 more countries that are fine exponents of killing the game. At the end of the day, the rules of RU only support league matches.

As I said at the beginning, well done England and good luck in the final, however, anyone see a common trend here between 1966 and our Rugby Team? Namely boring boring England. (Remember the "long ball" tactic?).

Still well done England and good luck in the final, I'll be rooting for you along side the tiddly winks and bog snorkelling team. Thank good I watched Leeds -v- St Helens tonight otherwise I would have lost all faith in spectacular Rugby.

(all spelling, grammar, and garbled statements are due to the bottle of red wine swilling around my stomach)

I think we had to play the way of the French it was pretty boring with all the kicking but we had to play to their game plan and it worked in the end as at the end of the day we beat them!

yawn.

visiting, you sentiment is accepted, but your post match break down is dull.

we won & that's all that matters!!

gado

visitingrock said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Now I am no fan of Rugby Union, however, I will support England at anything, RL, RU, Association Football, Commonwealth Games, Chess, Tiddly Winks, Cow pat throwing, Bog Snorkelling etc.

However, what an awful game. I think I counted about 10 periods where the backs, of either side, ran with the ball in hand in the second half. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but that was possibly the worst "game of rugby" I have ever sat through. Granted it had its excitement but it wasn't rugby. I thought that "William Web Elise" revolutionised the game of football by picking up the ball and running with it?! (OK in know that is a myth but run with me). Unfortunately, World Cup Rugby does no favours for Rugby Union. World Cups are all about winning; flair and spectacle doesn't get a look in. It is all about knuckling down for the win; a task that England took on and excelled at. However, watch club RU and you might enjoy the game, but when it is win at all cost, England will look to the forwards to perform. The endless monotony of watching forward after forward pick up the ball, take 2 paces forward and fall over (repeat adnorsium) just kills any chance of enjoying Rugby at it’s best. Eventually, they will play for the penalty and watch Johnny kick it over. Now, this tactic is admiral, however, it doesn't really follow the spirit of "William". And to add insult to injury, Brian Ashton, Phil Vickery and even Jason Robinson acknowledged that this was the plan to get France out of the cup during their post match interviews. And look at who they will play in the final, South Africa of Argentina, 2 more countries that are fine exponents of killing the game. At the end of the day, the rules of RU only support league matches.

As I said at the beginning, well done England and good luck in the final, however, anyone see a common trend here between 1966 and our Rugby Team? Namely boring boring England. (Remember the "long ball" tactic?).

Still well done England and good luck in the final, I'll be rooting for you along side the tiddly winks and bog snorkelling team. Thank good I watched Leeds -v- St Helens tonight otherwise I would have lost all faith in spectacular Rugby.

(all spelling, grammar, and garbled statements are due to the bottle of red wine swilling around my stomach)
Not a pretty game but a game full of tension to the last minute. Whilst you may not enjoy the constant onslaught of forward attacking, this is an integral part of 15s rugby and a part of the game which England excel at.

If the forward physical and psychological battle leaves you bereft of interest, perhaps Sevens rugby is your thing.

I would have this POV being an ex forward myself.

Quite often Union matches are a battle of attrition, with an occasional "open" game to inspire the 3/4s.

In the knockout stages, winning IS everything. Play to your strengths and exploit the oppositions weakness. England did exactly that.

World Cup final, here we come :D :D :D :D :D :D

visitingrock said:
Now I am no fan of Rugby Union
which is quite obvious from your ill-informed comments about the match which I assume you were actually watching? There is more to the game of rugby than watching their greyhounds race your greyhounds up and down the pitch,. The great thing about the game is the variation between Jason Robinson dancing 60 m forward avoiding the French tacklers, or Matt stevens pummeling his way forward "2 metres and falling over" but by doing so unbalancing the French defence, forcing over-compensation and gaining a penalty. The nice thing is that all shapes and body sizes can play and sometimes, yes, a big 18 stone brute gets to run in open space and demonstrates there is something more than grunt and groan to their game. alternatively some whippet sized fella hits the afore-mentioned bruiser and puts him on his arrse or into the front row of the stand.

Never mind, onlyt another week to go and the part time rugby fans can crawl back to underwater tiddly winks or formula 1 goat racing or whatever their true sporting love may be.

Cuddles said:
Never mind, onlyt another week to go and the part time rugby fans can crawl back to underwater tiddly winks or formula 1 goat racing or whatever their true sporting love may be.
:D :D :D :D :D

mad_mac said:
visitingrock said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Not a pretty game but a game full of tension to the last minute. Whilst you may not enjoy the constant onslaught of forward attacking, this is an integral part of 15s rugby and a part of the game which England excel at.

If the forward physical and psychological battle leaves you bereft of interest, perhaps Sevens rugby is your thing.

I would have this POV being an ex forward myself.

Quite often Union matches are a battle of attrition, with an occasional "open" game to inspire the 3/4s.

In the knockout stages, winning IS everything. Play to your strengths and exploit the oppositions weakness. England did exactly that.

World Cup final, here we come :D :D :D :D :D :D
Understand where you are coming from from and agree entirely with you comments. Thanks for the concidered comments on my post (unlike some others) My post was mearly an observation on my part. As I have said, well done England and roll on the final. One more opportunaty for me to see my dream game of Rugby Union which I know exists out there, somewhere, however, excuse me if I don't hold my breath on this particualr occasion.

Good luck England and here is hoping you bring the trophy back home to where it belongs ( lets face it, there is no chance of our fottbal team ever doing it and I am still hoping that one day our RL team will live up to its potential :cry: )