England rugby coach calls Wales 'a little sh*t place', does he have a point ?

I thought that JC landed on the South Coast of England ? Druids being all over the Country then ? not exclusively Welsh at all,the language may well have been Brythonic ?
Sorry, I was quoting tacitus' account of the Legionaires crossing the Menai straight and invading Ynys Mon.

Sorry, I was quoting tacitus' account of the Legionaires crossing the Menai straight and invading Ynys Mon.
Never read that - but I will - Ynys Mon was the breadbasket of Wales , grew lots of Corn , so naturally the Romans needed that to feed their Legions.
As for the Druids - best thing that happened to them was to kill them off - human sacrificing ? No thank you.

It's been a while since I was up that way ( there are several spots where ex Paras live ) so I won't have to worry about being ambushed on my way in - or out,as I intend to visit Lerpwl and admire that superb Library.

Druids are a myth in relation to the romantic version of the Eisteddford. The bards and bardic traditions are made up victorian nonsense.
Roman occupation was pretty complete, infrastructure easy to find and see compared to later history. Wales did not really populate until the 1600's from the various other countrys. Remember up until 1900's Cardiff was a minor port.

Druids are a myth in relation to the romantic version of the Eisteddford. The bards and bardic traditions are made up victorian nonsense.
Roman occupation was pretty complete, infrastructure easy to find and see compared to later history. Wales did not really populate until the 1600's from the various other countrys. Remember up until 1900's Cardiff was a minor port.
All very true. Swansea was a FAR more important port than Cardiff (due to copper for the Royal Navy's copper bottoms) until the age of steam created the demand for coal. In mediaeval times, Cardigan was the richest Welsh port (wool) and in the latter part of the Roman Empire it was Moridunum (Carmarthen).

@WolvoExPunk

I suspect you are talking about April Jones, who was abducted and murdered in Machynlleth. Were it not for the tragedy, the entertainment value of news crews trying to pronounce the town name would have been immense.

I do hope it wasn't recorded, but I was once trying to keep up a commentary on a lost or stolen through some lovely bits of Wales which ended up with me giving up on the town names and roads, and just using pubs as reference points. It won't be played as a training aide, other than "How not to"*.

*But we caught them so screw you , Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg. I might not be bilingual, but I can take thieves and had three in custody for a variety of offences. "You're ******* nicked mate" is understood in Wenglish as clearly as any other bit of the UK.
In happier time Machynlleth was better known for Led Zep living in artists valley nearby to records some of their famous tunes

I'm up that way delivering stuff to an art gallery for a friend every few months, it's got an air of sadness about the place now that I can't imagine will go for a long while

Shame really as it's not that bad a place otherwise

All very true. Swansea was a FAR more important port than Cardiff (due to copper for the Royal Navy's copper bottoms) until the age of steam created the demand for coal. In mediaeval times, Cardigan was the richest Welsh port (wool) and in the latter part of the Roman Empire it was Moridunum (Carmarthen).
I thought Tenby was the richest? Something for me to read up on the medieval times find it all facinating.

I thought Tenby was the richest? Something for me to read up on the medieval times find it all facinating.
Tenby was an important Port , as many ships could enter and collect passengers for the New World - just as Cardigan also did - story goes , that Jack Daniels ( of US Whisky fame )
used Cardigan to get to the USA , leaving his home village in South Pembs., but I have n o proof of this story being true.

Tenby has / had a very nice beach gave rise to some Georgian (?) houses being built there ?

Newport. The amount of jetties and wharfs built on the banks of the river usk to transport coal etc.

It's the bit of Wales that the slanty eyed, bald headed, antipodean wanker was on about.

Tenby was an important Port , as many ships could enter and collect passengers for the New World - just as Cardigan also did - story goes , that Jack Daniels ( of US Whisky fame )
used Cardigan to get to the USA , leaving his home village in South Pembs., but I have n o proof of this story being true.

Tenby has / had a very nice beach gave rise to some Georgian (?) houses being built there ?
I'd like to think that story true and that we went some way to civilizing the New World, 'cos I like my Jack D.

I'm a bit surprised Tenby could have been a port of much importance though, as the harbour is so tidal. At best it would have been anchor off-shore then either do a quick dash in or get locals to ferry stuff and passengers out. It always struck me, back in the day, as a strange place to have a RAF Marine Craft Unit, as the rescue launch always had to be riding off-shore - for the same reason the lifeboat has always been slip-launched.

I'd like to think that story true and that we went some way to civilizing the New World, 'cos I like my Jack D.

I'm a bit surprised Tenby could have been a port of much importance though, as the harbour is so tidal. At best it would have been anchor off-shore then either do a quick dash in or get locals to ferry stuff and passengers out. It always struck me, back in the day, as a strange place to have a RAF Marine Craft Unit, as the rescue launch always had to be riding off-shore - for the same reason the lifeboat has always been slip-launched.
Can't argue over that , as in those times I thought / guessed the ships draft was more shallow , and the beach being''more accomodating''...

It all being South Facing ( which applies to the South Wales Coast ) as well as property being cheaper ( not recently ?) and Sun all day - most days.

Maybe it was cheaper from Tenby , as opposed to trecking across to Cardigan ?

Can't argue over that , as in those times I thought / guessed the ships draft was more shallow , and the beach being''more accomodating''...
You may have something. It just struck me that some places on the South coast of England used to have ports which are now some way inland, so it could be I'm looking at 20th/21st Century Tenby while a few hundred years back tides may have been much higher. The general topography is all uphill from the harbour so an all-tide or near all-tide harbour may have been a possibility.

In happier time Machynlleth was better known for Led Zep living in artists valley nearby to records some of their famous tunes

I'm up that way delivering stuff to an art gallery for a friend every few months, it's got an air of sadness about the place now that I can't imagine will go for a long while

Shame really as it's not that bad a place otherwise

Do you know if that old building is still there - the one that was used for the first Senedd ?

Many hopes were invested in that building / meeting - could be the cause of the sense of sadness ? Have to read up more on Ancient Wales - much lost through ''living my life'' like many others on here.

Not just the south coast, Chester used to be a port as it was tidal all the way up to Chester back in roman times
Too true. King Billy left from Chester to Ireland - at that time the port was busier than Liverpool.

Newport. The amount of jetties and wharfs built on the banks of the river usk to transport coal etc.

It's the bit of Wales that the slanty eyed, bald headed, antipodean ****** was on about.
Added to which - the Industrial Revolution started in the Midlands and Northern England - had the same treatment as the nasty places in Wales....plundered and ravished , only for the remains to sink back into obscurity ( mostly ) until - guess what ?

They actually looked just like Newport does today !! What a surprise ?!

The 'luckier' places managed to find other work , which helped t ,,hem avoid the disaster areas the rest of the UK suffered - like Newport / Cardiff / Swansea / Holyhead / Merthyr / and other Towns / Cities in Wales.

I should mention that Cardiff is a bit more Posh nowadays than it did in its wilder days ( Tiger Bay ? where Burly Chassis came from- Shirley Bassey ,what a Voice ) and flats there costing over a couple of hundred thousands , so I'm told ?

He'd be better off keeping his mouth shut ( E.J. ) and look closer to his home - as I recall in Melbourne , a place called ''Smokey Joes'' down by the Docks , renowned for late time drinking - full of the detritus of humanity - literally washed up on shore , full of druggies / alkies / perverts / living in total squalor...now THAT is a stinking S%&$+^le ....

Deep Breath - Mi Glywaf Dyner Lais......

He was from the village of West Williamston (as was Jesse James).

He was from the village of West Williamston (as was Jesse James).
WHAT ?

Do you mean the American JessieJames ? Someone found a pic of him that's been authenticated - and valued at up to £2 million squid...

If so - I never knew that BOTH came from West Williamston !

Well done @Signalman !!

ARDDERCHOG , Gwas !!! Yn Y Wir.....