England Football Team donate 23k to Help for Heroes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by gentlesoul, Nov 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What a great gesture.

Well done the England football squad. :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumright:

2. Nice one. It's a very small amount to each player but at least the thought is there and it may lead to further donations from elsewhere.

3. Well done to the lads! At least some good came out of the game!!

4. Well done the lads! :clap:

Yes footballers wages are obscenely high and some of them are no better than they ought to be, but I suspect that they are inundated with charity requests, so for them to give to Help for Heroes is a great gesture. As previously mentioned, it isn't just the money they've given, but the publicity they've generated.

Well done too to Lord Guthrie for this comment: "It is a wonderful gesture to those who really deserve the title of heroes."

5. Whether its a large amount or small it doesn't matter does it?

Its a huge amount that am sure can be used to the benefit of the charity involved....

6. The appeal total last night stood at £1.1million after big-hearted Sun readers donated a staggering £416,000 in less than a month.

Help For Heroes’ first target is to raise £5million for an urgently needed swimming pool and gym at forces rehab centre Headley Court.

Excellent work, that £5 million target should be cut and half paid for by the government in the first place. As said now that it is more high profile it should have a few more purse strings open. Come on camelot im sure this is a worth while cause instead of some of the dross ideas you use lottery money on, we could say some of the lads and lasses injured are gay and single parents and camelot would donate the lot.

Well done or the gesture though England FA.

7. Wonderful news. I hope the ball keeps rolling (geddit?).

8. Sadly, yes.

Sirs horseless carriage awaits.

9. This is very generous and will raise alot of awareness throughout the UK and in particuler England fans.

2 points,

1). I thought with all the money that gets raised in the crowd at an england game and all the hype and sponsors behind it, I would have thought the players would pocket alot more than 1 grand a piece.

2). if the MOD can supply money for 2 wars costing millions and millions and continuously growing, and can supply most, if not every regiment/batallion with a swimming pool and a gym, why can't they pay for Headly court to have one? Instead of leaving it open to donations.

10. Because they're parsimonious, tight fisted, useless cunts, who couldn't give a stuff. Oh, and squaddies are getting the "very best treatment from the NHS" :roll:

HTH

11. At the risk of sounding jaded, money is like soldiers, no one cares where it comes from as long as there is enough.
    The twenty three multi-millionaires give the fee they didn't earn to a charity they were probably told about by their PA and that makes everyone feel happy?
    Does anyone recall the last one where a wedge of players "gave up" a days wages for the nurses? At the last count a fair number had failed to pay up.
    I say take the money, it will be put to good use, but don't think for a moment that it is any thing other than another PA excercise.
    I wait to be shot down in flames, but outside of Jeremy Clarkson who else has actually visited the wounded?

12. The comedian Al Murray has. I agree with your sentiments though as its a 85k monthly salary that they do not warrant. But like someone said, I suppose they get a lot of requests for charity.

13. Well done to the England squad

14. And to the Croatian team. Especially well done for beating England. :wink:

*Heads for the hesco and helmet*