England Expects (too much!)...?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Capt_Cuddlebunny, Jul 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Every couple of years, the English nation sees their hopes raised only to see them dashed because of the national football teams inability to put the ball into the back of the net after 120 minutes of play and control the competitive stress to actually get the ball past the goalie from the spot in a penalty shootout.

The thing that comes to mind from this situation is your average England supporting bod’ on the street seems to believe that England has not only the god given right to progress to the final of whatever tournament they're in, but they also have the talent to do so!

Would it not be better for the English nation to accept that 1966 was a fluke and winning the World Cup at home isn't a ‘real' win anyway?

It might make Euro 2008 a bit more enjoyable if people didn't set themselves up for a fall, blaming everyone and their dog (including blaming those who were brought out with the squad but were never allowed off the bench!) into the process.

So England fans, suck it up and get on with it! As a collection of talented individuals, your team sucks and as a point of history, trying finding out just how long your World Cup winning 1966 squad remained unbeaten for, and which nation’s team were the first to beat them…
  2. and you nation is which? obviously one with a long and distinguished world cup history.

or maybe not.
  3. how about.....FCUK OFF!!!!
  4. Well, they were there a good few times more than yours in the 70s and 80s and never got beaten by the part-timers of Norway (despite having a smaller population than Norway I believe)...
  5. Good point, well put, I love a reasoned debate...
  6. Given that England invented the game and popularised it, I see no reason why the English shouldn't have a huge passion for the game and yearn to win.
  7. stop dodging the question. just tell us what nationality you are so we can take the piiss.
  8. Well, let's put it like this, I support the national team of the country which was the first to beat England after 1966, and beat them 3 - 2 at Wembley in 1967 and the ONLY British team to reach FIVE consequative World Cup finals from 1974 to 1990...
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Even had time during the game for some keepie-up! 8) I have the DVD :lol:
  10. And I have those happy memories.
  11. guess that makes you a sweaty sock then. now who is banging on about past "glories"...?

your recent record in tournaments is somewhat comical isnt it?
  12. I was laughing last night.
  13. ah well, you keep chuckling as you hope to finally qualify for a major tournament... that's if you can beat countries like the faroe islands on a regular basis?
  14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You're sharp ain't you :? I would not like to take you on at Mastermind :roll:
  15. Past glories, good point, well put, but with the historical exception of 66, just what HAS the England team ever done for you?