England expects etc....

http://centre.defence.mod.uk/dgcc_newsportal/stories/0406/fcvp.htm

Up to 1,600 French sailors are expected to enjoy a run ashore while their ship anchors in the Solent on a visit to mark the centenary of Entente Cordiale.
How I wish I could be there to help the Froggies to 'enjoy' their run ashore...

When the carrier, FS Charlie Big Nose, arrived in the Solent it fired a 21-gun salute, which was returned by Fort Blockhouse, though alas only blanks were fired.

Evidently the Frog Patrol did a flypast - where were the AD Btys when we needed them?

Bert

Old-Salt
wonder if Britain will ever get a nuclear powered carrier like the CDG?

and i bet you wouldn't catch the french establishment gleefully announcing that they're incapable of fighting a war on their own, or planning their defence around fighting only as part of a coalition.

Well said Bert!

We give the frogs a hard time because they didn't follow George W Shrub blindly into a war on the premis of the possession of non-exsitent WMD!

At least their leaders have the balls to show a little independence.

Bert said:
wonder if Britain will ever get a nuclear powered carrier like the CDG?

and i bet you wouldn't catch the french establishment gleefully announcing that they're incapable of fighting a war on their own, or planning their defence around fighting only as part of a coalition.
So far all the Frogs have shown is that no matter how well equipped they are they are not capable of fighting a war (Crecy, Agincourt, Trafalgar, Waterloo, WW1, WW2, etc.), or are unwilling to do so.

However, they have made a great deal of money selling weapons to various unsavoury places such as Iraq, the Congo etc., etc.

If Britain wants a nuclear carrier, there is one in the Solent at the moment, which would probably be fairly easily obtained.... Leave it with the windows open for a few days to get rid of the smell of garlic and unwashed bodies, rename it and Robert's your male relative. Now that's what I call smart procurement. :twisted:

What would be the point of having a nice bigger carrier if we have no fixed wing naval aviation after 2010 until the FJCA! We'll be lucky to get the future carriers we want as it is!!!

:(

Bert

Old-Salt
ViroBono said:
So far all the Frogs have shown is that no matter how well equipped they are they are not capable of fighting a war (Crecy, Agincourt, Trafalgar, Waterloo, WW1, WW2, etc.), or are unwilling to do so.
i'm sure history experts could debate the finer points of your examples, but the french have a martial tradition and history of empire that they are proud of, and aren't selling themselves out; it seems Britain has a situation today where only the former could be circled, and probably in pencil so it could be retracted at a later date. The British gov't have sat back and watched Zimbabwe go down the pan of late; although belated, we can find quasi-unilateral examples of French intervention in Rwanda and Ivory Coast, and I'm fairly sure I remember France being the significant contributor to the force that went into DR Congo when it got busier a while back.

Bert,

What you say in re the Frogs may be true, but I prefer to be guided in my dealings with them by Admiral Lord Nelson.

Lord Nelson said:
There is no way of dealing with the Frenchman but to knock him down - to be civil to them is to be laughed at. Why they are enemies! "
and

Firstly you must always implicitly obey orders, without attempting to form any opinion of your own regarding their propriety. Secondly, you must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king; and thirdly you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.

You should come down the Solent at the moment, stinks to high heaven. Fish are washing up on the shores dead from the stench and its not just from the QAs either 8O

ViroBono.

Like we haven't sold weapons to despots. :oops:

If you think the frogs can't fight, have a wee read about Verdun, 1916. Makes the Somme look like a cake-walk.

Or you could try to make your point in one of the many bars in Calvi, Corsica. :wink:

beefer said:
ViroBono.

Like we haven't sold weapons to despots. :oops:

If you think the frogs can't fight, have a wee read about Verdun, 1916. Makes the Somme look like a cake-walk.

Or you could try to make your point in one of the many bars in Calvi, Corsica. :wink:
Indeed. Or you could get a sense of humour... :lol:

Bit concerned about the title of the thread!! :wink: more than just englishmen in HMF!! :lol: we have most of the (old, sold off) commonwealth as well as a few of us jock's, taff's and paddy's :lol:

A few hundred years ago, the French briefly took the Isle Of Wight. When they got back to the beach to depart, they found all their ships were up on bricks with the keels gone.

Last time the gene pool on the Island was freshened up. :roll:

Q: How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
A: Dunno, it's never been attempted.

I know it's old, but it's got to be said;-

In the light of increasing terrorist threat, France has raised its terror alert
from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate"

:lol: :lol:

Latest Threads