England. A crime-ridden, rough and dangerous place?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Steven, May 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So is the UK a disorderly, uncouth country that all civilised peoples would do well to avoid or is it just a case of high spirits
    and "Kampf drinking" as the Germans call it is just letting off steam in the evenings.
  2. Where I live, in under fourteen miles you can go from sleepy village to crime ridden hell-hole.

The UK (and England, since they're not synonymous) is many things all at once depending upon where you are.
  3. Crime has been falling over the last few years (overall, and most types - but not all) and the prison population has doubled.

Call me a simpleton but could there possibly be a link?
  4. I think this is a media panic issue. After the bulger incident, all the spineless weasels commonly known as 'politicians' started jumping on the crime and disorder bandwagon. Of course, we know who came out on top. New Labour managed to wrest the crime and disorder issue from the Conservatives and in the run up to 1997, New labour exhausted the entire lexicon of get tough rethoric to appear 'tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime' (first used by Tony Blair in 1994-ish on a radio show).

After coming into power, new labour kept up the rhetoric by publishing no less than 6 consultation papers on youth crime and anti-social behaviour in less than one year. They also passed the Crime and Disorder Act (which is where ASBOs came from) in record time! Till today, hardly a year passes by without the government introducing some new policy or measure to tackle 'antisocial behaviour'. With so much publicity and emphasis on Antisocial behaviour, it is no wonder that people are afraid! The politics of fear anyone?

Add to this the fact that ASBO are not being used as intended (eg. on the mentally ill! etc) and therfore constantly dominate the headlines, and you have a situation where there is so much fear and concern about Anti-social behaviour at a time when crime is largely speaking, falling and has continued to fall for almost a decade.
  5. Its because crime detection is up and there are more things considered a crime (mainly all this youth stuff), its New Labour, not because the UK is more dangerous. Besides, main land western Europe is a very safe place (in general) so hard to beat.
  6. Do the figures on crime represent all types of crime, or just "recorded crime"? I vaugely remember that certain types of crime no longer show in the statistics, therefore showing a reduction in crime.

Statistics can be made to show whatever you want, if you ask the right questions.
  7. There are 2 major statistics out there. That on recorded crime and the British Crime Survey. The former measures only recorded crime and there were changes to the way crimes were recorded around 1998(?). The British Crime Survey basically asks people if they have been subjected to crimes in the last year. I prefer the BCS since the large majority of crimes remain unreported. Largely speaking, however, the two statistics seem to match.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er....(donning Nomex coverall)....the Metropolitan Police Traffic Unit is coming under fire at the moment because of a report based on CCTV footage which...um...( Helmet G6 chin strap done up)....which seems to indicate that about half the car-crime in London is committed by...um ....young black voters between 16 and 35 years of age......Veg , any truth in this scandalously un PC allegation ?

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2179561,00.html

...Okay officers, I'll come quietly...the Ministry of Thought-Crime did you say?....no, I have no idea whose black shirt that is...... :?
  9. Agree that statistics can manipulted to support almost anything but it's hard not to trust your eyes and ears.

Nail on the head. I'm sure the Home Counties are peachy but in Birmingham low/medium level intimidation and violence, especially from 15-21 year olds is getting pretty bad in most areas. A good mate of mine is a teacher at a fairly typical State Secondary School and when he questioned his class of fourteen year olds on what jobs they were interested in doing, no less than seven lads replied drug dealer..like my dad/brother etc. They weren't gobbing off for their mates, just 'honest'.

The attacks by pupils on staff has got so bad - a teachers car petrol bombed and burnt out during school, teacher car-jacked at gun point at school, numerous (including sexual) assaults on staff etc. - that they built a cell and now have a copper stagging on permanently. Go five miles down the road and the schools are from a different planet. Blame poor areas, higher crime, less opportunities, not really understanding or relating to wider society, it's no excuse.

Kids have been told repeatedly that they are untouchable by parents, teachers, police and local community. By removing the ability to discipline under-eighteens the State has helped create these little monsters and soon they'll be all grown up..
  10. Straitjacket said
    I fully agree with this statement. The seeds of this demise in discipline started in the 80's. We have no-one to blame but ourselves for allowing the majority of the yoof of today to be the vile, arrogant, gobsh1tes many of them have become.

Can the trend be reversed? Hopefully, but God knows where we start.
  11. Start by shooting all the lawyers/civil rights/Liberty/AI activists.

Then we might have a small chance.
  12. Let me see if I get this straight, the Met are investigated the no. of blacks being arrested due to the cameras activities.
    What the hell are they going to do? Arrest the camera and charge it with race-hate crimes? What a waste of resources.
    A racist camera, who would ahve thought it!
  14. del. Repeat post. :oops:
  15. Depends if its Black and White, or Colour..