Engineers or Infantry?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by burgernipplesss, Nov 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Initially I had wanted to become an infantry officer, although after the nice chap at Welbeck sent me a letter saying that I had the required predicted grades to attend, I have also begun to consider becoming an officer in the engineers. Now I'm really not sure, so any 'advice' that could possibly help me decide would be more than welcome. :)

2. For a while I had been asking myself the same question; 'Engineers or Infantry?'

At a recent interview I was given this very useful (if somewhat biased as the major who told me this was from the infantry) notion. The engineers are more like managers (i.e. you're managing the equipment that your boys and girls are trained to operate) and the infantry is leadership (in the sense that you are leading the charge into battle). Ultimately both are based around the same duties such as; training your platoon/troop, career management, dealing with any issues they may have etc. etc. etc.

It depends solely on where you feel will be the best place for you. This encompasses a number of factors that only you can answer.

Go on a FAM visit to the engineers (it is an amazing visit!) and then to an infantry regiment and see which feels most right.

-OCS-

3. Thanks for the reply (and sorry for my late one)

I will ask my careers officer about FAM visits next time I see him, tbh I feel I'll have to go on one because although I think the Engineers would give me more career options afterwards, I'd rather join a regiment/corps because I know it's the right one for me.

Currently applying for a scholarship for 6th form (although I've only sent the interest form in, and all I've had back is a letter inviting me to visit Welbeck, which I think I'll do), still waiting for an application form.

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

At least you spotted that this Major might be biased! The answer is that a career in either brings with it similar leadership challenges. You might spend part of your first three years as an infantry officer running round slotting rag-heads but then again, you might not. Equally, if you deploy as a Sapper troop commander, you may well be involved in all kinds of hairy shit. Have a look at both and make an informed choice.

5. I am biased-of course-being an ex Sapper.However the Sappers will offer you a career path,after the Army,which the Infantry cannot do.As a Sapper you will be involved in Infantry type operations,probably.I served as an Infantry officer,at war,for nearly 2 years,before reverting back to a Sapper role.