engineers action?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Monkeyjizz, May 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im going to selection in the near future, got my sights set on Royal engineer; carpenter. Pretty confident i'll pass, touch wood.

How often am i likely to see the combat side of things on tour. look forward to the combat engineering stuff and my trade but i'd love to get behind a riot shield or do some combat stuff?

would i do any of this sort of thing or is it infantrys work??? was thinking about joining the Royal Anglians 1st before i went for engineers.

2. Whilst totally unqualified to comment, the impression I get is that while Engineers are expected to have a reasonable level of infantry skills (Royal Artillery would seem a reasonable "corps" with which to draw a comparison) they seem to be used much less in this type of role than Armoured or Artillery units - e.g in Iraq or on foot patrol in Northern Ireland when troop levels were higher.

Others may challenge this and advance different reasons but perhaps it is because the Engineers are too valuable an asset to be used in this way.

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Got it in one.

A multi skilled Corps that has a role in all phases of all types of operation. Gunners, God bless 'em, kind of run out of mainstream jobs once they have finished firing shells.

4. The Engineer unit deployed on Telic 4 was involved in a number of engagements usually whilst on route to or returning from a task.Despite some very near misses there was no fatalities for this particular regiment.

5. You can be expected to do infantry stuff, however given the thousands of pounds invested in you and you trade training it is a bit of a waste.

6. No pun intended :lol:

7. Royal Artillery would seem a reasonable "corps" with which to draw a comparison ... 8O ....... :? errr no .... the Corp arent compared with 'Drop-Shorts'

Others may challenge this and advance different reasons but perhaps it is because the Engineers are too valuable an asset to be used in this way :D ........ yep, unlike ....... D...... :wink: