Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Puma, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. spotted this petition among the many at Downing Street's website that calls for the Prime Minister to recognise the contribution of engineers in the UK and like other Countries place the title of 'Engineer' under Royal protection.

    This protection is similar to that offered to medical Doctors and Lawyers. As professional engineers of many years training and experience you may be as dismayed as I was to learn of a recent job advert inviting applicants to "Become a Satellite Engineer within three days!" I am sure you appreciate the difference in designing and launching a global satellite communications system and fitting a dish to the side of a house.

    I don't think this is about elitism or honours, engineers are a modest bunch. The phrases "Scientific breakthrough" and "Engineering disaster" permeate the history of technology; we're up against misperceptions in our attempt to educate the public about what we do - this impacts on choices made at secondary education level and ultimately in UK competitiveness. This proposal could help change that.

    So please log-in, sign up and pass this on!
  2. Oh great! Another Downing Street petition! I must rush off and sign it immediately as they're proven to really make a difference...

    Yawwwwn.... :sleepy:

  3. well its got 28,179 signatures so far :)
  4. To call your self an engineer in the rest of europe you require the minimum of a degree in an engineering subject. This rules out anyone below fos and is why signals tech is "telecommunications technician" and not engineer.

    Load of old bollox created by a whinging bunch of tw@ts, probably those who got a degree after a 1 year fos course and now feel they are better than than everyone else.
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    I think you'll also find no-one in Europe will take you seriously without at least a Masters and preferably Chartered status from a serious society. That puts you at having at least 4 years at uni and 4 to 5 years of experience in an engineering environment at a suitable level.

    Depressing how these people in the UK are lumped in with your other 'tyre replacement engineers' or 'heating engineers' (kwikfit and plumber respectively) not to say these people don't have the skills and experience in their respective jobs but they are not engineers.

    Gets worrying when the man who comes to fix your washing machine is earning more than the person who designed it in the first place.


    Like the Murphys.....
  6. Not necessarily. Whilst that is the preserred route, there is also a route for those who are ruddy good engineers who just didn't go to uni!

    And if you get chartered, it doesn't matter which institute you are part of, as it is all centrally ran by an organisation called Engineering council (UK) or EC(UK).

    To be on a par with europe, you need to be CEng and then apply for
    Eur Ing status.

  7. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Indeed, I didn't mention the non-Uni route, the reason being that it tend to be a minority of people and the time and effort required to achieve Chartered for them is much higher (which possibly proves they are more dedicated)

    Not all people in the UK get Chartered by the UK route, I have seen some people claiming Chartership status through some dodgey US or other 'societies' which is why I mentioned it.

    I had forgotten about Eur Ing though to be honest...another damn fee to pay....I'm never surprised at the number of people who just can't be bothered to get Chartered when the cost is so high and the benefits so low.

  8. I currently work in Electronic Security and our industry uses titles like Install Engineer and Service Engineer (I'm Service) - obviously we're not engineers although it is a semi-technical job and a fair amount of skill is required! Should we not be titled as Technicians - what is the alternative to Engineer or Technician??
  9. Oxford Dictionary states "• noun 1 a person qualified in engineering. 2 a person who maintains or controls an engine or machine. 3 a person who skilfully originates something."

    nuff said
  10. The problem with using Technician is that title has been devalued as well with titles like hygiene technician (bin man) eg eg

    Back to Engineers - if they have gone through the Uni route and got a higher degree they may have the respective letters after their names (BSc or even (hons), MSc ..) which should have a little distinction.
  11. But what is the alternative?? Fitter, installer, maintainer?? It's a bit random - anyway - us bleeting on about this isn't going to change anything! All I know is I don't miss being a Barrier Technician!!
  12. my dictionary says:

    (n) Person trained in any branch of engineering.

    (n) Profession of applying scientific principles to the design and construction of engines, buildings, or machines.

    (adj) of or specialising in industrial, practical, or mechanical arts and applied sciences.

    (n) Person skilled in a particular technical field.

    i'm registered as an Engineering Technician with the Engineering Council (UK) and my present job title is Technician Engineer.
    When i was in green skin i was a Systems Engineering Technician.