Engineering Challenge...

Discussion in 'REME' started by sparky8, Aug 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents

Have been tasked with producing an Engineering challenge for REME 70.

Anyone been privvy to any good scenarios? I dont want it to be like a command task, more "great egg race" and I'd rather steer away from a military scene just to give the lads a break from it.

Any help, greatly appreciated

2. Heath Robinson theme?

3. Some sort of scrap heap challenge thing, where they have to make a floaty thing out of cars in 6 hours and get it across a lake and back whilst stopping to collect things....or shoot things.

4. How about getting DEME(A) etc, to understand life at 1st Line.

Now that would be a challenge

• Like Like x 2
  5. If you want to get rid of them for a considerable period of time, there are 3 Chieftains
    on an Industrial Estate in Eccles that need fettling, on second thoughts that would
    take yonks!

6. Scrapheap challenge style to make a machine that can play Nurdles, obviously winner decided by competition.

7. As VW are in our history, blag an old beetle and get them to strip it down, clean & paint then re-design it so the body can be completely lifted off and everything (or as near as) still works.

8. Task: Construct a vehicle to transport a tray of eggs across a ploughed field without damaging any.
    Constraints: Eggs loose in tray. Tray unsecured. 8 hours construction time.
    Materials: Motorcycle engine, wriggly tin, para cord, black nasty, Silver Cross pram.

The DS solution should look something like this:

[​IMG]

Though it'll probably look like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Does it have to be measurable?

If not, how about a Rube Goldberg Machine-building contest?

10. I like the idea Mattb and will have a think about that cheers.

OK perhaps I should have said more, constraints are:

1. BSN based ES pers
    2. Prob only got 3 hours from concept to final presentation/competition
    3. Limited resources (scrapheap challenge on the K park or CAST park not realy appropriate)

Enabing factor is all trades (apart from Ship Wrights but then after 21 years in REME and never meeting one of them thats no shock) available as well as YOs to add a SME tint on Engineering*

* I know - had to get that bit in, sometimes I even make myself laugh.....

11. As a bit of a piss take on the Nut & Bolt man, you could always construct a large metallic figure of a bolt man in the Usain Bolt pose!

12. Not sure how a nut and bolt man is an engineering challenge?!

13. Make a Dalek, point for looks and functionality. If it can climb stairs as well (outside the scope of Dalek MK1) it wins.

14. YOs involved then you need to think of something wet and preferably muddy with ropes and a lot of grunting, trees by a river scenario. anything can be classified "Engineering" to a YO......

cooker (s) on the other side of a river with fuel only available this side with egg cup sized containers ......... maybe tea bags / milk / biscuits could be involved too

maybe ask a tiffy to help you with the finer points if you get stuck for details.....

If you want to go into advanced engineering dismantle the cookers first

15. Catapult/crossbow/air cannon building comp, winner launches a football the furthest.