Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engineer trade after leaving

Hi I am thinking of applying for the army as a plumber. I know this may sound like a stupid question but how much did you use your actual trade in the army and did you keep on top of it? I presume a plumber isn't going to be needed every day on an army base compared to civi street so what would you be doing when that doesn't need to be done? And is there anyone here that managed to transfer there skills into civi street once leaving? Thanks

Jonnynoname

War Hero
Hi I am thinking of applying for the army as a plumber. I know this may sound like a stupid question but how much did you use your actual trade in the army and did you keep on top of it? I presume a plumber isn't going to be needed every day on an army base compared to civi street so what would you be doing when that doesn't need to be done? And is there anyone here that managed to transfer there skills into civi street once leaving? Thanks
I knew a few ex Royal Engineers who never used their trade when out.
I can´t say if it was poor training or qualifications.
The most who were sharp & went further were Gunners , Infantry or Tankies.
Of course just from people i know.

As a trained JIB graded electrician, before I joined, and an then army sparks, very little of my civvie practices were utilised in the army, and none of my army practices were needed in civvie street on discharge. Two different worlds joined only by a job description.

As for a plumber, Royal Engineers I think is the corps for you. Other greater minds than mine, will have a definitive answer............. Good luck!

Truxx

LE
As a trained JIB graded electrician, before I joined, and an then army sparks, very little of my civvie practices were utilised in the army, and none of my army practices were needed in civvie street on discharge. Two different worlds joined only by a job description.

As for a plumber, Royal Engineers I think is the corps for you. Other greater minds than mine, will have a definitive answer............. Good luck!
Actually the person most likely to be plumbing on an almost daily basis would be a RN marine engineer.

Actually the person most likely to be plumbing on an almost daily basis would be a RN marine engineer.
Yep, agree with that one. Having learned about the lecktrickery in the Army, and done well out of it, I’d recommend the Senior Service to anyone who wanted to do any real engineering in the forces.

chimera

LE
Read:

And then have a good look through the Sapper forum where the question has been asked (and answered) many times.

The only part of the Army that will give you a recognised trade as a plumber is the Royal Engineers. but as a poster above has stated, you join the Army to be a soldier, and the Corps to be a combat engineer. You may get some trade practice, but if all you want to do is fix U Bends day in day out, then the Army is not the best place to do it.

Latest Threads