Engine remap

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Tom9748, Aug 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at getting a engine remap for a Volvo C30 2Lt Diesel,anybody had one done? do they do what it says on the tin? Some company's Ive looked at do the downloads and have the car on a rolling road,others offer a plug and play either post it out to you or charge 50 quid for someone to come out to plug it in.Anyone with sound advice before I part with my hard earned??

2. I don't have much knowledge of your particular car, but I have looked into these in general. Seems like genuine gains in power and/or economy can be made, depending on engine. In general, Turbo diesels have the most potential for remaps, conversely naturally aspirated petrols have little room for improvement on the whole.

Your best bet is to go on a volvo specific forum (they are out there) and ask the question or have a quick search, someone will have probably done it previously.

Rolling road will give you the best results but will probably be a fair bit more expensive too. If you get a generic chip on the other hand then there is no way of telling how much difference it has really made other than your own observations.

There have been the odd report of increased engine wear using these things, esp if you tend to rag your car anyway - there is a reason that the manufacturers don't tune their cars to the max in the first place afterall! Even if it doesn't break your engine, it may have effects on things like gearbox or diffs with increased torque going through them.

Anyway, as already said, best bet is to speak to people who have done it on your car - head to a volvo forum!

3. There is a bit of that too - and also that they can use the same engine in cars of different spec in different states of tune. If you look at mercedes then loads of their models have the same V6 and V8 engines, but in differnet levels of tune (as well as with/without turbos) giving different outputs etc. Quite often you can increase it to the tune of a higher spec model much cheaper as an aftermarket mod than buying the higher spec model in the first place.

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I had my Fiat Ducato remapped some time ago,before I sold it, and it was great, but you must check if it infringes any warranty and inform your insurer before doing it. lot of people have ended up in tears

5. If its a remap rather than a physical chip then it should be fairly difficult (impossible in some cases) for any insurance monkey to trace. Not sure about manufacturers with diagnostic kit - probably still difficult to prove it had been definitively changed if you denied it.

6. Yes you can do that! but without the uprated suspension, brakes and tyres. Factor in some other variables and guess what happens?

7. Hi,
    Not strictly true that anymore sadly.
    vosa for example have the kit to see if your car has been remapped and i,m sure insurance bods wont be that far behind. The reason for this is due to the possibility of paying the wrong tax for your vehicle ie may push it up a band on the vehicle tax, and we know how uk plc hates tax evasion.
    I looked into it for my Fiat and to be honest i backed out due to having to tell the insurance company etc etc. The other thing to consider is are you going to have upgrade your clutch, brakes, suspension, will the transmission take it and so and on and on.

Kind regards,

RM

edited to add jinxy beat me to it upgrading everything else !!

8. My old boss moved down to Cornwall and because of all the hills down here he was forever up and down the gearbox in his Fiat motorhome. He contacted a chap from the midlands that he`d used before, he came down and spent about an hour and a half on the thing. Boss reckons he can drive around all day in fifth now (figuratively speaking), because of the improvement in torque. Economy has got distinctly better as well, however he has had a slight loss in acceleration but then who wants to blast away from the lights in a motorhome. Think the chap charged about £250 because he had to drive down and stay overnight, boss reckons it was well worth it though.

9. Definately worth doing IMHO,

....had cars (petrol powered) re-chipped in the past when it was literally changing a chip in the ECU and presently have been re-mapping cars (via laptop) for the last five years.
    No downsides, if you service and look after the car correctly. Much better drivability.
    Turbo-diesels get more grunt by winding up the boost.

10. Cheers fellas,think I will look into the insurance side of things first as Im one of those "it always happens to me " people!

11. You have already been offered the loan of some screwdrivers and because you couldn't persuade any of your elders and betters to do the work for you, nothing got altered at all.

All engines are set to get as near perfect figures as possible for the emissions testing. The fact that this is of no use to man nor beast doesn't matter.
    All modern diesels are set up like this. The thing to beware of is if you have a shunt and your insurance company starts to ask awkward questions. You've got two options: Either tell them that you have had the work done or deny it on a stack of Holy books

12. The chips that are sent are based on the exact model, engine config and parts used at the time. Just pluggin in chips can and does help with a lot of diesels, but be warned if you're not using even the same airfilter as the chip was designed for you're potentially looking at a false economy. BEst bet is getting it on a rolling road, although this is expensive - just be cautious that when you go for it's next MOT that the emisssions have not been altered to its detriment.

AS has been said, OEM engines end up in all different makes/models of cars (i.e. Peugeot engines in the Mini, Isuzu in Vauxhall's etc etc), so they are based on a rather generic model with mapping to suit. They are also built around worst and best case scenarios in terms of fuel quality. Again check what your insurance and warranty states with regards to changes!!