Enfield De Lisle Carbine

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by steven04, Apr 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, after a wait of nearly 3 years, I picked up my new De Lisle this week.

First chance I'll get to shoot it is on Monday [​IMG]

Rifle is built on a BSA SMLE action. (pictures are flip-flopped as I'd held my Nokia N85 the wrong way up, its not got a LH bolt )

• Like Like x 1
  2. 'Scuse my ignorance, but i thought De Lisles were banned from civilian possession at the end of the war?

Or am i just spouting garbage?
  3. Lookalikes are not that uncommon. AFAIK, the only legal problem is that the original thing's barrel was shorter than is now permitted in the UK - so today's repros look the same, but they have a longer barrel under the moderator.
  4. Yep, garbage mate :D In fact because the moderator is an integral part of the De Lisle Carbine barrel you don't even have to ask for a .45 sound moderator to be put on the FAC. Happy days!
  5. Just for interest, what did you put as your "Good reason to have"?

Or did you just ask for a .45 gallery rifle for target use? :)
  6. Yes, that exactly. :D
  7. What length barrel does it have compared with the originals?
  8. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Sexy looking bit of kit but what will you use it for. Great for slotting deaf rabbits I suppose.
  9. It's just an interesting thing to shoot with. No further justification required.

Why deaf rabbits?
  10. Replica rifle has a 12" tube, originals had a 7.5" IIRC.
  11. I'd thought that would be the case. Have you shot it yet?
  12. IIRC, wasnt the originals using a modified Thompson 1928 Barrel? Also they had a wedge of rubber in the underside of the bolt handle to help deaden sound of the bolt hitting the side of the stock?
  13. They used an adapted .303 magazine, with the .45 mag housed at the front, and a velvet-padded recess at the back which he spent round would fall in. Whether or not that was present on all models I don't know (and would be grateful if anyone knows if this is the case) but one I fired years ago was amazingly quiet throughout the entire firing cycle.

14. I've not seen the version that you describe and its not shown in Skennertons book on Special Service Lee Enfields.

There appears to be 2 versions, those made in the Ford Dagenham plant, and those made at Sterling. There are quite a few differences between the two, such as sights, muzzle, fore-end and magazine guide.

My replica is based on an original Sterling at the Royal Armouries in Leeds, which was used to take accurate measurements etc.

I haven't had chance to shoot it yet, but will on Monday weather permitting.

The only factory ammo I could find was steel cased Wolf 230g FMJ. Will have to see how it shoots...

Anyone know of another brand of factory .45acp thats still available ?
    I checked Kranks website and Privi isn't imported it seems.

I may have to homeload it seems.

15. Try York guns for PMC and Viking Arms for Magtech