Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Jimima_Shark, Aug 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys/Girls,

Has anyone visited this cemetery? I ask because my Great Uncle (RAMC) is burried there and I remember hearing the story of my Grandfather (RSigs) visiting him in the 80's and coming up against an immense amount of trouble.

As an aside can anyone recommend a good read that covers the African campaign? (WW2 obviously)

2. Google the subject and came up with:

Sorry, did not read your post properly. :oops:
  3. Done the same, however it does appear to be in a remote location of Tunisia that may not be advisable for a white face to just pitch up in.

The story of my Grandfathers trip suggests there was quite a bit of secrecy required, I was wondering if anyone else has visited.
  4. Did he make the trip as a private citizen?, IIRC Libya was on the list of places prohibited from visiting after discharge, but I have no idea on how or which rules would apply to a serving soldier.

I can't see the trip being an official military venture, not to Libya in the '80s, and being ex-Signals myself am curious now.
  5. Tunisia is pretty safe, just make sure your hotel knows where you are going
  6. You know it's funny you mention it but the story also goes on about how Grandad met Col Gaddafi, I have no idea if there is any truth in it. Having dug into it a little more this almost seems possible. However the trip was as a private citizen, he'd always wanted to be able to say his farewell to the brother that was closest to him in age. It also would appear that Grandad would have also been in North Africa fighting through to Sicily?/Malta? and certainly Italy. It was always something that he never really never talked about and after he died 2 years ago I feel a real regret.

Thanks for your interest.

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Hey Jemima,

Yes I was there last year. I was on a Trip to Tunisia to visit Roman ruins and while driving I spotted the signs for the Cemetery and of course stopped to pay my respects.

Its very well maintained as you would expect. Not like what appears to be an Italian one next door which is in a state of ruin with some of the Maulseleums desecrated.

Tunisia is very safe and if you would like to visit I would recommend you look at Monistir which is not far away and the place where the film the Life of Brian was filmed. It's quite ccheap to get there and not a bad place to visit with a wealth of history. I really recommend it.

If you would like any further info then feel free to post here or PM me.

8. Tunisia is safe. Locals very nice indeed. I lived there and taught English for quite a while.

As to bumping into Ghadaffi, not likely, Tunisians in general have little or no liking for Libyans although you do get a goodly number of Libyan taxis\louage bringing people up to Tunisia, particularly during the summer months.

The typical Tunisian view of a Libyan would be rather akin to our love of the French as a nation :D

Nice country, good people. They keep Cemeteries in nice order.
  9. You might try contacting the RBL pilgrimages department, even if they have no trips planned they may have some info that would help you.
  10. Guys,

Thanks all for your posts excellent stuff, I think I now know where I am going next year.

Cheers again.

11. If you want to join us next year we will be going in 6-13th May. Its the 65th Anniversary of the Tunisia Campaign.

We offer the choice of a Pilgrimage or a Battlefield tour.

Our Pilgrimages are aimed at supporting a personal graveside visits. Our pilgrimages are a led by a senior member of the Legion and accompanied by a standard bearer.

Our Battlefields Tours are more aimed at helping to understand what our Armed forces did and why they did it. They are led by a battlefield guide.

It may be possible to mix and match days.

If you want to find out more contact the Remembrance Travel Office 01622 716729