Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

I live in a bungalow.
I can see the 'east wing' (or Mini-Me Mk 1s bedroom as it's otherwise known) from the hallway, much like I can see every other room in the house from the hallway. if I look out of any of the windows into the back garden I can check for the shed, office, garage, and workshop to see if they have any lights left on.

I don't need a smart meter, I simply need a small amount of mobility to check on things.

Clearly you are not a moron. =-)

RBMK

War Hero
I live in a bungalow.
I can see the 'east wing' (or Mini-Me Mk 1s bedroom as it's otherwise known) from the hallway, much like I can see every other room in the house from the hallway. if I look out of any of the windows into the back garden I can check for the shed, office, garage, and workshop to see if they have any lights left on.

I don't need a smart meter, I simply need a small amount of mobility to check on things.
I just need to beat the "turn it off" approach into the wife & kids.

SWMBO will regularly leave 2x computers, printer, monitor & 2x phone chargers left on standby all night. She gets all sniffy when I tell her to turn them off at the plug, which is BTW within easy reach of her right hand.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
She gets all sniffy when I tell her to turn them off at the plug, which is BTW within easy reach of her right hand
Mine are on a smart plug, I just tell the spy in the house to turn it on or off. Funnily enough Alexa is the only female in the house that listens to me.

NSP

LE
From that source which may not be named .... but the concept was always going to move that way .... disturbing but not surprising that as an example Generating Capacity and demand at night time to recharge Electric Vehicles may not match so selective load shedding by household may be used ...

Switch off electric vehicle chargers? But the government is insisting we all switch to electrics. By 2032, last time I looked...

Joined-up thinking...? Yeah, right...

NSP

LE
In the happy happy carbon neutral world there will be:

No gas or oil central heating. Only heat pumps.

No IC cars. Only EV'S

That's a lot of electricity required just to keep the lights on and politicians can no.longer deny reality.

Which is why all the BS about not requiring baseload along with renewables to manage grid stability has been toned down a bit and the ultimate horror of new BFO (or multiple mini) nuclear power stations is suddenly considered not quite so horrible any more.
Yet we're still ploughing all the eggs into the offshore wind basket. I've just spent a month in amongst a sixty-turbine array. The number of days none of the bloody things were turning was far in excess of the number of days when they were. I went out one day and took a video clip panning around the while OWF showing not one of them turning, then panned up to show the flag fluttering dementedly in the somewhat strong breeze...

Embrace the atom, folks - it's the only thing that makes sense.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Who the fuck installed that dogs breakfast...? I've been out of the installation game for quarter of a century and even I can tell that that is an amateur lash-up. Sort that effing cable dressing out, someone, for starters!

@Joshua Slocum

Last edited:

NSP

LE
This tells you what we're getting from where:-

Note how much we import from France and Holland during peak demand (most of the electrons coming from Ireland they've got from the excess French nuclear capacity - some of the cables from France to Ireland/UK were laid in routes I produced the pre-lay survey charts for)...

Last edited:
Switch off electric vehicle chargers? But the government is insisting we all switch to electrics. By 2032, last time I looked...

Joined-up thinking...? Yeah, right...
Thanks for reinforcing my Post ... the word " Government " and phrase " Joined-up thinking " can only appear together in an oxymoronic sentence .

Blogg

LE
Yet were still ploughing all the eggs into the offshore wind basket. I've just spent a month in amongst a sixty-turbine array. The number of days none of the bloody things were turning was far in excess of the number of days when they were. I went out one day and took a video clip panning around the while OWF showing not one of them turning, then panned up to show the flag fluttering dementedly in the somewhat strong breeze...

Embrace the atom, folks - it's the only thing that makes sense.

They are subsidy and Renewable Energy Certificate farms

Latest Threads